You are not logged in.

#1 2009-03-15 13:56:24

kandrews

uxterm -fg black results in a terminal with white text

When I launch uxterm with the -fg black option, it ignores it and displays white text anyway. At least the cursor is black. When I add a -cr blue option, the cursor changes to blue. So only the foreground color is being ignored. No matter what color I set it to, the outcome is the same. Does anyone know how to fix this?

I took my Xdefaults file straight from the blue gray theme at http://code.suckless.org/hg/dextra/file … /bluegray/ if it matters. However, I thought that this would be overrided if the option was manually inputted. I also ran 'xrdb -load ~/.Xdefaults' just to make sure it wasn't that. Thanks for your help.

#2 2009-04-03 23:45:44

kandrews

Re: uxterm -fg black results in a terminal with white text

Apparently this was a problem with bash. It sets the text color by using the terminal's white setting instead of foreground. I discovered this when I tried loading the fish shell and discovered that I could actually see the text, except for the word "Type" which fish prints in white. I'm hesitant to call this solved because it seems wrong. Certainly there is a use for foreground colors? Why doesn't bash use it live every other console program?

Board footer