You are not logged in.

#1 2009-04-04 05:39:34

vlearner

xorg need help - I fried my monitor

sad:(:( I just fried my 3 year-old babe s monitor, might have been because of the &^%#@*#$ xorg.conf
with auto generated xorg.conf by hwd -xa, i managed to have dwm for a while, and there came D-Day, i left the laptop on for a 3 hours working on other stuff, when i came back, i was welcome with a ominous black screen omg. Since then, i havent had any success revive the monitor again, HDD, VGA onboard chip .... everything is working just fine, but the monitor...
so i plugged in an extra LCD and temporary used it

I think because i ignored the warning: "This will fry old monitor" and i thought my laptop isnt that old hmm:/

Now i just got a new Dell Inspiron 1545 which has df resolution 1376x768
so i have a couple questions, please help me so that i wont destroy the new one tongue:P

1+ are the Horizontal sync and Vertical Refresh rate very important? and if yes, which range should i use to be considered "safe choice"?
   I m currently using default HorizSync 28.00 - 78.00 and VertRefresh 50.00 -75.00 (default by hwd -xa) on Intel X4500HD using xf86-video-intel driver in extra repo. I couldnt find these information in the manual sad:|

2+ any idea how i destroyed the old monitor smile ?
3+ anybody used Dell Inpsiron 1545, can i see your xorg.conf ? thanks big_smile
thanks a lot

I LOVE archlinux

#2 2009-04-04 09:11:44

Dheart

Re: xorg need help - I fried my monitor

No, It's not your faulth. By "Old" monitor it means old crt. Probably it was about time to change the laptop (or low quiality lcd was installed) ;p
Also you should be able to run without xorg.conf - just install driver for your video card.

EDIT:
Also when an LCD monitor can't display certain mode it gives "Out of range" error, it doesn't try anyway.

Last edited by Dheart (2009-04-04 09:16:18)

My victim you are meant to be
No, you cannot hide nor flee
You know what I'm looking for
Pleasure your torture, I will endure...

#3 2009-04-04 15:43:36

vlearner

Re: xorg need help - I fried my monitor

oh i see big_smile thanks, so it wasnt my fault, i feel a little more confident with Arch now big_smile

I LOVE archlinux

Board footer