You are not logged in.

#1 2004-11-10 23:47:14

ruwach

Syu - then no audio

Hey there
here is the deal,
i did a pacman -Syu and part of what got installed was the some new alsa stuff. now i can only get audio as root.
what ever should i do?
thanks for any suggestions

#2 2004-11-11 00:01:33

sarah31
Website

Re: Syu - then no audio

are you using udev?

perhaps some of your answers are in the announcement that judd made the other day

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#3 2004-11-11 00:06:53

ruwach

i dont think that i am using udev. another thing i discovered... realplayer and audacity still work, but alsa mixer, xmms, totem, mplayer do not.
help any?

#4 2004-11-11 00:14:10

ruwach

oops, lemme change that, mplayer does indeed work. just xmms is out. it now works with the OSS drivers, but not ALSA ( which i am used to ) and the alsa mixer isn't working .. .it crashes
hope this helps

#5 2004-11-11 00:15:29

poetofnumbers
Website

There are a couple of documents that might help in this situation:
-the notice about the new audio and optical groups
-the audio wiki
-the udev how-to wiki

The first assumes you are using udev instead of devfs, and the third explains how to get udev properly installed.  If you have udev, then you should have the directory /etc/udev.

Since you just upgraded, I assume you have the groups audio and optical.  In the second link, there are sections entitled "Setup Permissions for *".  You should not need to run the first command, since you should already have the audio group.  Modify the command in the second step to the following, replacing "your_user_name" with the user name you want to be able to have audio functionality.

gpasswd -a your_user_name audio

In the third step, replace all occurances of "sound" with "audio".  The fourth step in this section is fine.

Hope this helps.

Drew
------
Knowledge Brings Fear

Sweet, now I can play with myself.

#6 2004-11-11 02:44:00

kill

If your using DevFS adding yourself to the audio group should fix your problem.  When I updated my system last a new version of DevFS was installed and that was all that I needed to do.  If that doesn't work you should have a few some_config.pacsave files in your /etc folder; you can compare those to the installed versions of your config files.  Hope that helps any.

#7 2004-11-11 03:42:49

ruwach

ok i have the /udev folder  also have the folder /dev. xmms and such use /dev/dsp. There is nothing in the /udev folder and the devices are all under the /dev so i don't think that i have switched over to udev. Is there an advantage to doing that ?
Thanks for your replies, by the way.

#8 2004-11-11 05:34:06

ScottTFrazer

On all of my three installs, adding my users to the newly created audio and optical groups solved any sound and burner problems I had from the upgrade.

#9 2004-11-11 06:11:37

ruwach

i did this
gpasswd -a my_user_name audio

i got this
unknown group: audio

does this mean i dont have udev?

#10 2004-11-11 14:57:59

poetofnumbers
Website

I think it is safe to say that you have udev due to the fact you have the folder /udev.  Run pacman -Syu one more time, hopefully this will create the groups audio and optical.  After this run gpasswd -a username audio once more as root.  If you still get the same error, the run

groupadd audio

as root.  Then try gpasswd -a username audio once more as root.  Hopefully, this will solve your problems.

Since you most likely have udev, I would recommend looking at the udev wiki.  At the very least, this might be a good resource if you have similar troubles in the future.  And by similar troubles I mean something like only root can use cdrom/dvd drives.

Drew
Knowledge Brings Fear

#11 2004-11-11 15:33:21

ruwach

well, here is one thing i got, i think. i have gone thru this once before with alsa/OSS in that i am not supposed to have both running at the same time. if Oss is loaded at boot, then alsa will not work ( this doesn't explain why alsa works as root though)
i did what you said, my_user_name is now added to group audio, but i get the same results.

#12 2004-11-11 16:19:05

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

FYI, my gpasswd gives me some odd message about shadow and crap, so I ignored it and just used:

# groups ME
wheel users
# usermod -G wheel,users,optical,video,audio ME

groups <username> lists the assigned groups, so you can list them in usermod...

also, I stuck with the same scheme and added a video group...

#13 2004-11-11 17:44:33

kill

I don't think hes using udev, because if he was he would have set it up.  Also just because he has the udev folder does not mean hes using it.  I have the folder on my system but I am not using udev its part of the standard install.  To see if udev or DevFS is being used look at the messages after the kernel messages the ones that have [Done] after its loaed, either devfsd or one for udev should be one of the first things to start.  After its found which is being used the wiki should help get sound working.

#14 2004-11-11 19:11:00

ruwach

i am using /dev then. i dont even have anything in /udev. I have never set up /udev so i am quite certain that i am still with /dev

#15 2004-11-11 19:44:33

poetofnumbers
Website

Have you followed the steps on the audio page?

I realize that having the /udev directory is neither a sufficient nor a necessary condition for having udev installed and running.  Rather, I was looking for easys tests to perform which
would indicate whether or not the udev package is likely to be installed.

Board footer