You are not logged in.

#1 2009-04-03 23:23:03

Gen2ly
Website

Recommended dvd player?

I'm trying to play a dvd and I'm not real excited to how it looks.  I like mplayer but the quality isn't that good.  I start the dvd with:

mplayer /dev/dvd

But I'm getting lines in the picture:

mplayer.png

This is a bit exaggerated, it looks better when playing but you can see the lines.  This might be interlacing?  Or possible the Decoder is doing this?  I'm not sure.  Also, mplayer doesn't look to have menu support.  Any ideas on how to get mplayer to have menus and deinterlace?  Or any recommendations on a dvd player that plays well and has menu suport?

Setting Up a Scripting Environment | Proud donor to wikipedia - link

#2 2009-04-03 23:31:52

skottish
Forum Fellow

Re: Recommended dvd player?

Yes, that is from interlacing. And, mplayer itself doesn't have menus, but gmplayer does. I recommend gnome-mplayer for a front end, as well as gecko-mediaplayer for your browser plug-in.

#3 2009-04-03 23:40:43

Procyon

Try -vf pp=l5

Also look into dvdnav in man mplayer, I'm not sure how well it works, I never tried it, and I don't think mplayer in [extra] has it, but you can find a PKGBUILD if you search for dvdnav in AUR.

#4 2009-04-04 00:41:17

ataraxia

The technical term for these lines caused by interlacing is "combing".

The mplayer in extra today doesn't have dvdnav support, but the one in testing does.

#5 2009-04-04 21:20:46

Gen2ly
Website

Tada "-vf pp=l5" that does the trick and puts mplayer in to deinterlacing.  ThankProcyon.  I decidedto try the mplayer-dvdnav in AUR but it looks for a version of libdvdnav that isn't in AUR anymore and the code is over a year old.

@ataraxia

Terrific to know that mplayer is getting dvdnav support.  Been looking at the lists and looks like they've been trying to do this for a long time.  The new player runs great and now i got dvdmenus. smile

After tinkering a bit, here's what i use to to begin mplayer with that gives a good picture (takes out some noise and deinterlaces:

mplayer -vf pp=l5/default/tmpnoise:1:2:3 -vo xv -cache 8192 dvdnav://

I added video output as xv which is pretty much the default now for rendering video in linux and added a cache to help skipping be moreresponsive.

Just FYI: There is a bug with dvdnav still that because the arrow keys are used for dvd menu navigation that arrow keys can't be used for skipping.

Last edited by Gen2ly (2009-04-04 21:22:47)

#6 2009-04-04 21:25:08

Ghost1227
Forum Fellow
Website

All good advice, I still use VLC tongue

.:[My Blog] || [My GitHub]:.

#7 2009-04-04 23:09:43

ataraxia

And, even better news... The version of mplayer with dvdnav support moved from testing to extra today.

This change was enabled by having the mplayer devs integrate libdvdnav (which they now also own) into the mplayer source tree (via a svn external). This made dvdnav a "free feature" for anyone building mplayer. I wrote a feature request to use it and had it fixed in our recent "bug day". So, here's concrete evidence of the value of Arch having "bug days".

#8 2009-04-05 00:25:03

jt512

I'd been using ogle for DVDs to get around the lack of nav support in mplayer, but I just upgraded to the new version of mplayer in extra, and dvdnav works!

#9 2009-04-05 05:20:55

Gen2ly
Website

Good news ataraxia.  Arch dev are on top of it. smile

For ppl with newer nvidia cards I've discovered nvidia has is adding purevideo technology to it's drivers and newer version of mplayer and ffmpeg support it.  Purevideo adds hardware acceleration to playing videos.  I discovered my card is just before purevideo came along but I learned enough about it that I thought I'd pass it on.

There's a version of mplayer that supports purevideo in AUR (mplayer-vdpau-nogui) once it's installed you can use purevideo by:

mplayer -vo vdpau -vc ffh264vdpau /dev/dvd

If you want to learn more about it you can look at this page that does a good job describing and giving requirements.

Last edited by Gen2ly (2009-04-05 05:26:53)

#10 2009-04-05 05:24:30

skottish
Forum Fellow

All modern subversion builds of Mplayer support it. You don't need that AUR package anymore. FFmpeg can only decode streams using VDPAU. FFplay currently only has SDL as an ouput driver, but there's talk of porting over Mplayer's output driver code. There's work going into both right now for a generic video accelerated API, so all cards that have something similar will be supported soon.

Board footer