You are not logged in.

#1 2009-04-05 04:01:26

caelestis

Static noises

I'm getting static noises whenever the speakers aren't muted. It gets very annoying and I have no clue what to do. Also, when I try I mute headphones, the whole system mutes. Same thing with PCM and speakers. This is with the Intel ALSA mixer thing, the other mixers don't do anything

#2 2009-04-05 08:55:50

Procyon

Re: Static noises

Can you test with a different set of boxes or headphones?

#3 2009-04-05 11:26:02

quarkup
Website

caelestis wrote:

I'm getting static noises whenever the speakers aren't muted. It gets very annoying and I have no clue what to do. Also, when I try I mute headphones, the whole system mutes. Same thing with PCM and speakers. This is with the Intel ALSA mixer thing, the other mixers don't do anything

I muted everything but the "master", "speaker" and "pcm"

If people do not believe that mathematics is simple, it is only because they do not realize how complicated life is.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

#4 2009-04-05 11:36:40

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

Is this an integrated audio chip?

I have been running my server with a separate sound card, until I upgraded the motherboard, CPU and RAM, and decided to go with the onboard audio. The server's hooked to my amplifier and I could clearly distinguish static through my speakers... Even at a few meters distance, at moderate volume.

I swapped the PCI card back in and no hiss anymore. Integrated stuff can sometimes suffer from interference, and sound chips are particularly 'vulnerable' to that.

As for muting the headphone out taking out other channels, you might want to try some modprobing options for the snd-hda-intel driver.

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#5 2009-04-05 11:52:13

XFire

Do you have a microphone, that causes static for me.

There is a difference between bleeding [edge] and haemorrhaging. - Allan

Board footer