You are not logged in.

#1 2009-02-24 12:44:55

eazy
Website

clipped screen on dual screen+compiz+nvidia

Hello everybody,
  I am connecting an external display to my laptop. The laptop display is 1280x800, while the external display is 1280x1024.
  NVIDIA is configured to run two separate Xscreens, opposed to the TwinView alternative.
  Compiz works on either screens without slowdowns, but the lower area of the external display is black.

It seems that Compiz is running on each screen at 1280x800, and since the external display is larger, a black band is shown at the bottom. How do I configure Compiz to use the full resolution on the external display?
  Metacity isn't affected by this issue.

Did you ever experience that? There's not much on Google about that (or too much, searching for compiz+nvidia+dual screen gives too much results neutral)

Forgot to say: this applies to Compiz 0.7.8 and Compiz 0.8.0 upgraded today. Affects Ubuntu and Arch either using NVIDIA 177.x or 180.x.

Cheers,
eaZy big_smile

Last edited by eazy (2009-04-06 16:30:12)

no masters to rule us, no gods to fool us

#2 2009-02-25 23:58:18

MorningWood

Re: clipped screen on dual screen+compiz+nvidia

I actually came across this thread because I'm experiencing the exact same issue. Anyone know how to fix this?

#3 2009-02-26 08:53:03

eazy
Website

MorningWood wrote:

I actually came across this thread because I'm experiencing the exact same issue. Anyone know how to fix this?

I still haven't found a solution, but I managed to work with Compiz on the main screen (in my case the laptop) and Metacity on the other screen...
I'm starting compiz with

DISPLAY=:0.0 compiz --replace --only-current-screen

and metacity with

DISPLAY=:0.1 metacity --replace

This is working, apart of small focus bugs: changing from an active window on a screen to an active window to another screen is impossible, the only solution is clicking on a unfocused object and returning the focus to the target window.

#4 2009-02-26 14:46:33

MorningWood

eazy wrote:
MorningWood wrote:

I still haven't found a solution, but I managed to work with Compiz on the main screen (in my case the laptop) and Metacity on the other screen...
I'm starting compiz with

DISPLAY=:0.0 compiz --replace --only-current-screen

and metacity with

DISPLAY=:0.1 metacity --replace

This is working, apart of small focus bugs: changing from an active window on a screen to an active window to another screen is impossible, the only solution is clicking on a unfocused object and returning the focus to the target window.

That's actually the work around I was looking for! Thanks a lot. I'm using a 26" tv as the secondary display and compiz is kind of pointless on that, at least to me. For some odd reason I've also noticed that when I set the larger display to a resolution lower than the main display (the laptop lcd), there is no bar with compiz. I don't know how solid this is because after a few restarts it went back to the intended resolution, but since doing the same step again it's been working for now.

To illustrate what I mean:

Section "Screen"
    Identifier     "Screen0"
    Device         "Device0"
    Monitor        "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth    24
    Option         "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"
    Option         "TwinView" "0"
    Option         "metamodes" "DFP-0: 1280x800_60 +0+0"
    SubSection     "Display"
        Depth       24
    EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Screen"

# Removed Option "metamodes" "DFP-0: 1280x800_60 +0+0"
    Identifier     "Screen1"
    Device         "Device1"
    Monitor        "Monitor1"
    DefaultDepth    24
    Option         "TwinView" "0"
    Option         "metamodes" "DFP-1: 1280x720 +0+0"
    SubSection     "Display"
        Depth       24
    EndSubSection
EndSection

#5 2009-04-06 09:23:01

eazy
Website

bump..

I still did not manage to get Compiz work correctly.
Is there anyone who is running Compiz on a NVIDIA card, dual screen (no TwinView) and the secondary display is not experiencing this black area bug?
Please share your xorg.conf

eaZy

#6 2009-04-06 16:28:07

eazy
Website

A workaround has been found: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour … bug/331918

And it seems Compiz developers won't support or fix dual monitors soon..

Board footer