You are not logged in.

#1 2009-04-06 23:15:28

wildman4god

installing arch questions

My first official question on this forum is when I go to install arch it wants me to select the size of several partitons for swap, root, home, and boot. my question is how big do I make each one, Ubuntu just puts them all except swap on the same partition (I know Ubuntu has spoiled me tongue) So would anyone like to give me a run down on this, it would be much appreciated.

#2 2009-04-06 23:51:33

CaptainShanks

Re: installing arch questions

It's really a case by case thing, sorry if the answers that you get aren't so exact XD

That being said, here is an awesome forum post that has some great suggetions:
http://linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.ph … 362f1cdf94

Read one of the replies halfway down the page for your suggetions.

#3 2009-04-06 23:53:58

mcmillan

To give much advice we need to know more about what you want to setup. But to give you some perspective here's what I have:
/ 13 GB - with 7.3 being used, and I'm not particularly lean with what I have installed.
/boot - I have mine on the root partition. If you want it seperate it can be pretty small. My /boot is only ~7MB right now
/home - 6.8 GB with 3.2 being used, I also need to clean this up a little. It's pretty small for /home, but I keep all my personal data on another partion that I can mount from windows. If you won't be doing this you probably want /home big enough to hold all the personal data you might accumulate
swap - 1GB, what you need probably depends on your RAM. I rarely use much of this, but I kept it the same size as my memory so I can suspend to this space

#4 2009-04-06 23:56:57

hokasch

You do not have to create separate partitions for root, boot and home (however, there are some advantages in doing so). The Beginners Guide contains guidelines and more info on partitioning, sizes, and filesystems: Link

#5 2009-04-07 00:32:15

wildman4god

Thanks for the help, i think the beginners guide will help a lot. however I don't know how big to make them, right now I am working on a virtual machine with only 10 GB of hard drive space. I would put it on a separate machine with as much as 30 or 40 gigs of space but I can't yet get linux on my school's network, to do that I still need to buy a second nic so I can route the connection through a windows pc, which can get on the network, but I don't yet have it so I am stuck on a virtual machine for now. any suggestions on partitioning schemes?

#6 2009-04-07 00:37:16

CaptainShanks

With 10 gigs, you'll probably be safe using just the / and swap partitions.

Board footer