You are not logged in.

#1 2009-03-25 12:15:09

whoops

[SOLVED] building xorg-server: libgl & nvidia-utils conflict

Hello!

I somehow feel like I'm totally missing the point, but...

edit: although I think (not sure any more) this was the same procedure when I first compiled xorg-server, I maybe should mention, I'm now using the testing xorg.

I still don't really understand, why I need libgl to build xorg-server. Aren't nvidia-utils supposed to replace that? Is there a way of building xorg-server with nvidia-utils instead of libgl and if yes: are there (dis-/) advantages doing so other than not having to uninstall nvidia-utils while compiling xorg-server?

Or the other way around: Perhaps it's just me, but I feel "funny" having to remove something that's vital to my installation before I can compile something that's vital to my installation, too... so is it really OK to remove nvidia-utils and compile xorg-server without it or am I doing it wrong?

Thank you for enlightening me wink

Last edited by whoops (2009-04-07 02:20:51)

#2 2009-03-30 16:50:54

Neo_The_User
Website

Re: [SOLVED] building xorg-server: libgl & nvidia-utils conflict

Well AFAIK, The nVIDIA closed source drivers haven't caught up with xorg server 1.6 which is why you need libgl to build xorg-xserver 1.6+. I personally perfer the open source drivers over Fglrx (FireGL and Radeon X) and the closed source nVIDIA drivers as well.

edit: xorg server is 1.6 in testing so if you want to compile from source, and have the closed source nvidia drivers, you would need to compile xorg server 1.5.XX

P.S. You cannot have both, the nvidia drivers and the open source drivers (libgl), running at the same time which is why the nvidia-* packages are to be removed.

Cheers!

Last edited by Neo_The_User (2009-03-30 16:53:28)

AMD Phenom II X4 955 with Optimized Kernel
5 GB DDR2 RAM
320 GB SATA Hard Drive + 160 GB SATA Hard Drive
ATi RadeonHD 5830 GIGABYTE

#3 2009-04-07 02:20:34

whoops

Re: [SOLVED] building xorg-server: libgl & nvidia-utils conflict

Thanks, that explains it... mostly!

Makes me wonder why xorg-server build with libgl still works afterwards with those very same nvidia driver, but luckily up to now every xorg-update just DID without any problems, so... what the heck, solved.

Board footer