You are not logged in.

#1 2009-04-04 23:29:21

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Jackmp, asoundrc, and VirtualBox?

Hi all,

Previously in my Ubuntu installation I had a relatively complicated setup, inserting Jack underneath Pulse and above ALSA. Jack-capable applications used Jack, all others would play through pulse, which then connected to Jack through pulseaudio-module-jack (only exists in Debian AFAICT, not even in Ubuntu). Kludgy, but it worked, I could do my audio work with Jack-only apps while using general-use apps via Pulseaudio, with individual voume controls and the like.

Having moved over to Arch, I learnt to use just Jack to ALSA, a simpler approach, with a properly configured .asoundrc. Almost all the apps I previously had working are working now (only a packaged binary flash game doesn't work, but that never worked for me through Pulse either, only through native ALSA), with the exception of VirtualBox PUEL.

Anyway, I chose ALSA output for VirtualBox PUEL, and I get to hear the Windows login sound just fine, but after that ALL SOUND from my machine dies. Once I shutdown the virtual machine, I get this torrent of noise, basically all the sounds that have played since I started up the virtual machine, playing all together. Somehow VirtualBox seems to be grabbing the audio (Jack) and not letting go, which is surprising since Jack shouldn't be 'grabbable' in any case.

Qjackctl's connection tray shows Virtualbox as jack.alsa-plugin or something along those lines, so VirtualBox can't be grabbing the sound-card directly, I think.

Two things to ask in this situtation, firstly is there a way for me to make the current setup work as is (no need for Pulseaudio). Secondly, if I do use pulseaudio I'd want an equivalent to pulseaudio-module-jack, which is not available anywhere else except for in the Debian repos, to my knowledge. Is it already included in the latest Pulseaudio for Arch, or has it been discontinued?

Thanks for all your help.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#2 2009-04-07 07:52:54

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Re: Jackmp, asoundrc, and VirtualBox?

I just realized that pulseaudio comes with module-jack-source and module-jack-sink by default, so that's what I'm using for now. Would still like to know if its possible for VirtualBox to directly output to ALSA, though, since pulse just adds to the clutter on my system.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

Board footer