You are not logged in.

#1 2004-11-12 21:34:26

vicious

Strange seamonkey and firefox behaviour

Hi.
I've got a very strange problem with both Mozilla Seamonkey and Mozilla Firefox. They seem to work fine, but from time to time they slow down. CPU usage jumps to 100% and the browser is hardly responsive - the reaction to a click taskes 5 seconds or so.
I've also noticed problems with loading archlinux bb. This happend once or twice. The icons <new topic> <reply> disappeared and alt text was shown instead. Why? After I refreshed the page the images came back.
This is extremely strange, because for example it didn't happend at all today.

I've search arch bb, google but found nothing. Is this arch specific?
Thanx in advance.

#2 2004-11-13 05:41:11

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

Re: Strange seamonkey and firefox behaviour

happens to me every now and then on a different distro too. I don't think it is arch specific.
It seems to happen more often, the more tabs you have open...
open 30-50 tabs, and watch it slow waaaaay down...

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#3 2004-11-13 15:24:09

vicious

I don't have to open so many tabs (ONE suffices).
The slowdown I'm talking about is enormous.
I suspect the problem has something to do with java vm.

#4 2004-12-07 05:47:27

makz

i had a similar problem, at first i thougt it was mozilla but it wasn't, it is a bug in xfce, when you are using the launcher that has two states and checks something at regular time intervals (i don't remember it's name) each time it executes it allocates memory that isn't freed, so it takes more and more memory and after working some time the computer suffers a huge slowdown.
When i removed the launcher from the panel the problem was solved but i don't know if that's your case, maybe it's a problem with mozilla.

#5 2004-12-07 14:16:37

vicious

makz wrote:

i had a similar problem, at first i thougt it was mozilla but it wasn't, it is a bug in xfce, when you are using the launcher that has two states and checks something at regular time intervals (i don't remember it's name) each time it executes it allocates memory that isn't freed, so it takes more and more memory and after working some time the computer suffers a huge slowdown.
When i removed the launcher from the panel the problem was solved but i don't know if that's your case, maybe it's a problem with mozilla.

No, in my case it is exactly mozilla process which eats cpu. I've checked this with "top". Moreover, as far as I remember, I used fbpanel not xfce4-panel.

Anyway, thnx 4 reply.

Board footer