You are not logged in.

#1 2009-04-08 04:40:25

quickfished

[SOLVED] nstalled apps not in Kickoff Menu

I'm using KDE 4.2.2 for a few days now and for the first time, I think I will stick with it.
One thing though, if I install new apps, they never end up in the Kickoff Menu or the Classic menu all the same.  The apps are installed properly, I can locate them and launch them.  And I hardly ever use the Kickoff Menu to start applications but okay.
Is there a fix for this?

Last edited by quickfished (2011-04-06 05:01:41)

#2 2009-04-08 05:21:20

Gen2ly
Website

Re: [SOLVED] nstalled apps not in Kickoff Menu

Unsure just what apps your talking about, but not all apps have a desktop file.  Even some popular programs may not have them.  This isn't a problem with the developers, rather itmeans that the source didn't have them included.  What I usually do is create a desktop file and find an icon and submit is to bugzilla.  To install a program.desktop locally put it in "~/.local/share/applications/".  Here's an example:

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Version=1.0
Type=Application
Name=Savage 2 Model Viewer
GenericName=Model Viewer
Comment=Model viewer for Savage 2 - A Tortured Soul
Icon=/home/todd/.savage2/s2icon.png
Exec=/home/todd/.savage2/savage2.bin "PushMod modelviewer; Set host_autoExecStartClient"
Categories=Game

Last edited by Gen2ly (2009-04-08 05:22:01)

Setting Up a Scripting Environment | Proud donor to wikipedia - link

#3 2009-04-08 07:56:28

quickfished

Re: [SOLVED] nstalled apps not in Kickoff Menu

Gen2ly wrote:

Unsure just what apps your talking about, but not all apps have a desktop file.  Even some popular programs may not have them.  This isn't a problem with the developers, rather itmeans that the source didn't have them included.  What I usually do is create a desktop file and find an icon and submit is to bugzilla.  To install a program.desktop locally put it in "~/.local/share/applications/".  Here's an example:

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Version=1.0
Type=Application
Name=Savage 2 Model Viewer
GenericName=Model Viewer
Comment=Model viewer for Savage 2 - A Tortured Soul
Icon=/home/todd/.savage2/s2icon.png
Exec=/home/todd/.savage2/savage2.bin "PushMod modelviewer; Set host_autoExecStartClient"
Categories=Game

I am talking about all of them.  Skype, OpenOffice, Mplayer, VLC, whatnot.
Thing is, I've got one box where it's working perfectly and then this one where it's not.  Also, I cannot assign filetypes to new installed apps (like .avi to Mplayer and such).  Which is a bit annoying.
Must be some kind of privilege problem somewhere, but as I'm a KDE noob, I have no idea where to start looking for it.  But thanks for your reply, I will look into that.

Board footer