You are not logged in.

#1 2009-04-08 12:50:23

jwhal

Networking Clarification

Hi there. I installed 2009.2 last night on my Dell Inspiron 1525n. I had to download the Broadcom driver as the b43 didn't work (didn't try the b43-legacy). Either way, the Broadcom driver worked. I ended up copying the wl* and other files to /lib/modules/<ARCH>/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/bc4312 (created folder). I added wl to rc.conf MODULES section.

Anyways, after I rebooted it worked. But I have two "issues" that I'd like to understand:

1) My wireless was initially eth1 (because eth0 is my "wired" card). After I rebooted, it became eth0 and eth0 became eth1 (make sense???). Is that normal? So how should rc.conf be configured if I want to have entries for both eth0 and eth1 utilizing dhcpd (because at some point I may need to plug my laptop in). I'm at work right now and don't have my laptop with me...so please bear with me.

2) As per some of the doc's (can't remember which), ieee80211_crypt_tkip module should be loaded, should it not? When I add that to rc.conf MODULES, I get a Fatal error upon boot (can't find it???)?. Do I need this, and if so, where is it? Or am I totally mis-reading the doc's?

I'm not totally new to linux, but man o man, it's been years since I've bothered with a minimalist distro (recently have been using Ubuntu simply just because). So I may need a bit of a refresher....

Thanks,

Jon

#2 2009-04-08 13:13:18

ralvez
Website

Re: Networking Clarification

Jwhal,

Welcome to the forums and Arch.
Your system recognizes two cards because in fact you do  have two. The Ethernet and the wireless.
It seems to me logical that you would end up with eth0 and wlan0 ... and that's where I'm a bit confused. You ended up with eth0 and eth1 (??)

If you plug your laptop in a LAN does the second card work? If everything is OK it should and if that is the case I would not worry much.

As per the ieee80211_crypt I did not have to install it (per-se) in my wireless but perhaps someone else can provide some feedback on this ?

Hope this helps.

R.

#3 2009-04-08 13:34:02

jwhal

Thanks Ralvez.

Yes, it threw me off too the fact that I have eth0 and eth1 as opposed to wlan0. I honestly never paid attention to what Ubuntu had labeled the cards as.

Duh, re-reading this article answers my question about eth0 and eth1 being reversed:

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Broadcom_BCM4312

It says very clearly at the very bottom of the page:

Put "ieee80211_crypt_tkip" and "wl" at the BEFORE b44 (if you have it) position in MODULES= in /etc/rc.conf
Don't forget to blacklist b43
Your wireless card will be eth0
Your ethernet card will be eth1
Both will work fine

Sorry about that.

And as for ieee80211_crypt_tkip, I guess I need to modprobe it first - where can I set that to be done upon startup? Because modprobing it manually yields no errors, so I'm assuming it works.

Jon

#4 2009-04-08 14:24:43

tomk
Forum Fellow

If it modprobes successfully, just put it in the rc.conf MODULES array.

Board footer