You are not logged in.

#1 2004-11-12 16:55:05

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Croquet -- 3D collaborative OO environment and OS

I thought http://www.opencroquet.org/ might be of interest to some of the Arch users here. Its a 3D collaborative work environment programmed in Squeak.

This is the first project I've found that seems to have much in common with Ensmer. How sad that I didn't discover it earlier...

Dusty

#2 2004-11-13 05:24:49

celeron2002

Re: Croquet -- 3D collaborative OO environment and OS

mmm the screenshoot isn t very nice than looking glass, but the proyect has future...

irc.bsd.cl #linux
irc.freenode.org #archlinux-es

#3 2004-11-13 07:46:56

rasat
Forum Fellow
Website

Half an hour ago when I was copying information from different files located in different directories, I again thought about 3D. This happens when getting frustrated when first one has to remember where the files are located, then click here, click there, and some more click click click and finally open the file by waiting it to load. Once opened there are few seconds more to wait, to recall why opening the file.

When I hear the word 3D, for me thing are displayed in front of a user instead of going from 1 to 2, 2 to 3, 3 to 4 what's required in a 2D file manager and other apps. In 3D user need to know the location (address) but moves directly to the file or apps instead of going through a process of many steps.

One of the screenshots in Croquet shows many apps running in 3D postition, looks interesting. But if it requires the same number of steps to load an apps or find a file as in 2D, what's the benefit excpet looking nice? If it includes a 3D navigation system, then its an unique idea.

Markku

#4 2004-11-13 17:04:36

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

rasat wrote:

One of the screenshots in Croquet shows many apps running in 3D postition, looks interesting. But if it requires the same number of steps to load an apps or find a file as in 2D, what's the benefit excpet looking nice? If it includes a 3D navigation system, then its an unique idea.

It seems to support all sorts of different interaction environments, though I haven't tried it.

This is exactly the problem I want to solve with Ensmer though; everything is an object, instead of being a program manipulating data.  I don't understand why programmers are lucky enough to enjoy the OO paradigm, but users are still stuck with the old fashioned process/data paradigm.

Another goal of Ensmer is to allow users to totally customize the display while the backend objects themselves do not change.  AFAIK, croquet doesn't directly support this either.

If I had broadband, I'd give croquet a shot. It would probably be easier to develop my plans in it than from scratch, only I prefer Java...

Dusty

#5 2004-11-13 22:47:35

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

Dusty wrote:

only I prefer Java...

*dusty falls off his pedestal*

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#6 2004-11-14 00:37:45

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Java 5, Tiger and Groovy.... unbeatable combination, really.

and I don't *fall* off pedestals, I jump off softly and land lightly. tongue

#7 2004-11-14 03:44:54

rasat
Forum Fellow
Website

I downloaded and did a test.
The first impression its a copy of Looking Glass or the sources have been modified from somewhere. No one makes a version 0.1 from scratch with extensive number of features and upgrade facility. The performance is cranky like having a low memory vga card. Also its a memory monster, swallowed my 384MB RAM within few mouse clicks.

The screenshots looked interested but in action having a doll or rabbit showing the angle of view as if the user doesn't have eyes of his/her own, I lost my interest.

Markku

#8 2004-11-14 19:25:01

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

rasat wrote:

I downloaded and did a test.
The first impression its a copy of Looking Glass or the sources have been modified from somewhere.

Not likely; its a different programming language.

From what I understand of croquet, is it not more fully immersive than looking glass? When I tried looking glass (that was a while back), it was a 3D desktop, you couldn't actually navigate in it.

If I had broadband, I'd try them both.... Somebody oughta make a liveCD demonstrating all the 3D systems out there.... here's a good list:

https://lg3d-core.dev.java.net/lg3d-rel … ogies.html

er.... on that topic, the lg3ders are thinking of making a live CD for looking glass alone:
http://www.javadesktop.org/forums/threa … 3&tstart=0

Dusty

#9 2004-11-15 20:45:24

aCoder
Website

Croquet is very different from LG, although both are consider 3D desktop environments.  LG is a DE in the sense that GNOME or KDE are, but Croquet is more of an environment in the general sense, allowing freedom of movement with a space, or, as is often the case with Croquet, and at fault for the huge consumption of RAM, multiple spaces.  It's my understanding, although I've not made an attempt at using the networking features, that the rabbit seen in the screens is a representation of another user, on another PC, and what that user is looking at.

No one makes a version 0.1 from scratch with extensive number of features and upgrade facility. The performance is cranky like having a low memory vga card.

While this may be a very early release, I think the project's been in development for quite some time.  I don't see anything wrong with proper planning.  Also, the horrible performance ought to be a dead giveaway that it's not a fork of LG, (at least not LG's code), since LG, when I tried it on my PC, at least ran reasonably well, speed-wise.

If you develop an ear for sounds that are musical it is like developing an ego. You begin to refuse sounds that are not musical and that way cut yourself off from a good deal of experience.
  - John Cage

Board footer