You are not logged in.

#1 2009-03-05 10:54:05

UQ-igor

NetworkManager problems on fresh install

Hello everyone,

I just completed a fresh install of Arch on an IBM T60p laptop. I used to run Arch before but gave some other distros a try and now I'm back in Arch. I'm trying to install network manager but it's giving me problems.

I followed the wiki and installed
# pacman -S gnome-network-manager hicolor-icon-theme

Then I saw theres a new wiki for Netwrok Manager 0.7 and since I was having some authentication problems I tried some stuff from that wiki; namely:
/etc/NetworkManager/nm-system-settings.conf
[main]
plugins = keyfile

[keyfile]
hostname = <your hostname>

But this still didn't solve all the problems. I also run ck-launch-session before nm-applet but I'm still getting authentication/permission problems. I then edited all network manager files under /etc/dbus-1/system.d and copied all the root policies and changed user=root to my username.

Now I can run nm-applet but it won't let me adit any networks or change configurations etc... all the options are greyed out. I'm pretty sure it still permission problems (policykit?) but now I'm at a loss on how to go about fixing it.  I used slackware linux extensively years ago and I can say things really got complicated in the last couple of years when it comes to system configuration!

Also, if i run nm-applet as root, I'm still unable to change settings - all options are greyed out. In addition, running nm-applet as both user and root and right clicking on the tray icon shows that some "pictures" (icons) are missing; i.e. only a white paper with a red cross picture appears - as if I don't have correct icons installed.

I've read through the posts concerning nm here on the forums and the wikis but I couldn't fix this.
Hope someone can help!
Cheers,
-Igor

#2 2009-03-21 12:29:17

Xi0N
Website

Re: NetworkManager problems on fresh install

This pretty describes the set of problems im just having now.............
Any solution?

#3 2009-03-22 18:23:07

Xi0N
Website

It looks like some problem unlocking the keyring..... i wonder if anyone can have any clue on how to solve this issue since is really anoying....... sad

#4 2009-04-08 16:40:49

kamil

Xi0N wrote:

It looks like some problem unlocking the keyring..... i wonder if anyone can have any clue on how to solve this issue since is really annoying....... sad

This issue is only when you use gnome-keyring 2.26. I returned to gnome-keyring 2.24 and everything works fine.

After installed gnome-icon-theme, problem with icons disappears.

Last edited by kamil (2009-04-11 16:06:46)

Board footer