You are not logged in.

#1 2009-04-10 07:12:49

jarda-wien

gmrun always on top

There is this problem when starting multiple apps in a fast sequence that the gmrun window loses focus when the program is launched. Is there a way to make the gmrun dialog be always on top? I have tried combining the ToggleAlwaysOnTop switch in the openbox config, but this obiously didn't work out...

#2 2009-04-10 11:57:58

Rasi
Website

Re: gmrun always on top

jarda-wien wrote:

There is this problem when starting multiple apps in a fast sequence that the gmrun window loses focus when the program is launched. Is there a way to make the gmrun dialog be always on top? I have tried combining the ToggleAlwaysOnTop switch in the openbox config, but this obiously didn't work out...

<application name="gmrun">
      <decor>no</decor>
      <skip_pager>yes</skip_pager>
      <skip_taskbar>yes</skip_taskbar>
      <fullscreen>no</fullscreen>
      <maximized>no</maximized>
      <layer>top</layer>    <<<<<<<<<
 </application>

Last edited by Rasi (2009-04-10 11:58:22)

He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.

Douglas Adams

#3 2009-04-10 14:49:05

jarda-wien

actually that didn't do the trick, but it pointed me to the right direction... thanks a lot for that!

the thing is: gmrun is always on top when run, but an application that is started afterwards (like firefox or OO which take ages to start), the focus is lost from gmrun to the new application. So I have to make a rule to not give newly started applications focus:/

Last edited by jarda-wien (2009-04-10 14:49:24)

#4 2018-01-08 20:43:49

scottro
Website

I'm never sure, when google brings me to an old thread, (where I don't find the answer elsewhere) if I should post to it or open a new one for this subject.  I'm going to necrobump this time, with sincere apologies, because google brought me here with search terms about keeping a window on top, and I don't see an answer anywhere else.  I thought about emailing a mod to notify them, but the mods here are really conscientious and will find out soon enough. 

So, from what I see, the OP's mistake (though this might be due to the intervening years) was to use

<layer>top</layer>

.  When I did that, I had the same issue, a new window would steal focus.  However, changing that to

<layer>above</layer>

fixes the issue, leaving the application always on top.  The full line, for xbiff, a mail notification application, is

<application name="xbiff"><position><x>0</x><y>1050</y></position><layer>above</layer></application>

(if anyone cares, that is to leave it at bottom right of screen.)

Again, apologies for a necro bump, but I've explained my reasons, this was one of the first hits I got when googling with terms like openbox rc.xml alwaysontop (or something similar).  So, I _think_ that even if it's closed, this necrobump post should be left in this thread.

Last edited by scottro (2018-01-08 20:46:20)

#5 2018-01-08 21:01:22

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Don't apologise; just don't do it. This information belongs on the wiki, not appended to a nine year old thread.

Closing

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

Board footer