You are not logged in.

#1 2004-11-14 18:15:18

sweiss

No installation support for ADSL?

Hello. I've a friend trying to install Arch from the 0.7 beta iso, however he cannot set up his internet connection because it lacks the needed packages for connecting through ADSL.

I've looked at my own iso (0.6) and I did not find any rp-pppoe package, which I understand is needed in order to get a working ADSL connection (I'm not using ADSL myself though).

Shouldn't the iso include this package (among others which might be needed)?

#2 2004-11-14 18:28:22

neonik

Re: No installation support for ADSL?

I second that request.

Look, those downloading the base CD's got no chance to get it working or even installed. Sure you can get outta the Arch environment in your prior OS (provided it's still accessible) and download the package per hand then run pacman -S /downloads/rp-pppoe.tar.gz but you will get a message you have to synchronize the package database, which isn't performable because you have no connection to the internet.

I know it's explicitly stated in the manual, you should download the full package CD, if you use a dialup connection. Just consider a case where you pay per traffic and don't need the other 400MB of packages but want to use Arch Linux. You kind of can't. So I'd like to second the request that rp-ppoe and other packages as stated in the manual be added to the base installation CD.

Thanks in advance.

#3 2004-11-15 02:44:37

sarah31
Website

i agree. i have asked for this for a long time. i can't believe that it has not been done yet. rp-pppoe should have been included long ago. lots of trinkets that are not really need have made it over rp-pppoe.

i have rp-pppoe on disk just to ensure that if i should have to install on my i586 machine again i am not screwed. i don't know how people who don't have a second machine get by.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#4 2004-11-15 07:51:51

kth5
Website

sarah31 wrote:

i don't know how people who don't have a second machine get by.

i have several other machines but still use a floppydisk to store rp-pppoe until it's finally being put onto the base-iso.

in any case, i don't like downloading the full install cd either simply because most of the packages are outdated a few days after the release anyway. so i would have to download-on-upgrade only instead of both for the iso and the upgrade afterwards.

I recognize that while theory and practice are, in theory, the same, they are, in practice, different. -Mark Mitchell

#5 2004-11-17 20:02:15

segmental

You will need rp-pppoe, ppp, and libpcap. None of these packages
are in the arch-0.7-beta2-base.iso file.

It is odd that they are not included considering that DSL connections are
rather common and Arch installation is based upon having an Internet
connection.

Of course, you could remaster  the install iso. There is a link here:
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Install

But it would be simpler if these three packages were included in the
original ISO. Do they take up too much space?

#6 2004-11-17 20:22:32

neonik

WLAN support (package) in the CD image file would also be nice, in total it's around 300kb, I guess.

#7 2004-12-28 01:13:32

Michel

Although I downloaded the complete ISO, it would be nice to have as much as possible networking-support I suppose. I'm using the speedtouch modem, which uses pppoa, which would be nice to also have in the base-package I suppose ...

#8 2005-01-08 00:50:05

hugelmopf

neonik wrote:

Look, those downloading the base CD's got no chance to get it working or even installed. Sure you can get outta the Arch environment in your prior OS (provided it's still accessible) and download the package per hand then run pacman -S /downloads/rp-pppoe.tar.gz but you will get a message you have to synchronize the package database, which isn't performable because you have no connection to the internet.

I think you can add the package via "pacman -A ..." without having a sync'ed database. But this is rather annoying as you have to resolve dependencies yourself this way.
Wouldn't it be an option to include the database in the install CD somehow? I know that it will not be up to date, but a good starting point that helps over the first few hurdles.

#9 2005-01-08 01:22:53

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

Better... there are instructions on using the install cd as an install source.

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#10 2005-01-08 03:14:20

sarah31
Website

The problem is that if you ONLY have the BASE install cd you cannot get online. ADSL packages should be part of a base install. I know I would have appreciated it when i installed on my i586.

That being said i know that I have mentioned it enough times to know that it will likely never happen.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#11 2005-01-08 05:02:34

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

rp-pppoe has been moved to base and will be on the base cd for 0.7.

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

Board footer