You are not logged in.

#1 2004-11-15 17:12:26

axelmangr

X server

Hi.

I have previously started a thread regarding twinview of nvidia which can be viewd at http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php? … highlight=
I managed to overcome that problem but I was brought upon another. To start with let me explain the situation. I am using Fedora Core 2, kernel 2.6.5-1.358 and nvidia FX5200. The whole idea started because I wanted to watch the movies I have to my tv and not on the computer screen. The idea of cloning the computer screen to the tv was abandoned because of resolution problems. I don't want to get into details. It's really another threads problem....

So I played with the xorg.conf file and tried to make two server layouts and ende up with the following:

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier     "MonitorTv"
    Screen      0  "MonitorLG"
    Screen         1  "GrTv"
    InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
    InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier     "Monitor"
    Screen      0  "MonitorLG"
    InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
    InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
EndSection

"MonitorTV" and "MonitorLG" have properly defined in later sections of the xorg.conf file.

So when I am within kde from a terminal I issue the command

$startx 'which twm' -- :1 -layout MonitorTv

then an X server is started. My kde is at ctrl+alt+F7. the newly started X server is at ctrl+alt+F8. And from there I can start an mplayer with the switch -display 1.1 and it plays normally at the tv. But when I switch to kde (F8) then the tv screen is lost. So the question is : Is there a way to make it possible to watch a movie on the tv while at the same time working on my desktop? (My sister wants to watch a movie and I want to work on the computer)

thanx a lot
axelmangr

#2 2004-11-15 17:29:19

xerxes2
Website

Re: X server

hello
this is archlinux forum,
there are many fedora forums available
here is one you can try http://fcp.homelinux.org/

good luck

arch + gentoo + initng + python = enlisy

#3 2004-11-15 18:00:23

axelmangr

Re: X server

I am not sure if this was a fedora topic or a general X server thing. I just mentioned that I am using fedora. The whole thing is about the X server. Anyway thanx for the tip. I'll try there too.

axelmangr

Board footer