You are not logged in.

#1 2009-04-12 01:11:29

endless_dark

Is this ram usage possible?

Hello everybody, recently I noticed that my system is slowing down.
Today I had to stop working with the gimp and after I closed it and closed most of important programs I get this from the top command

http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/2921/2 … 0x800s.png

If now im only running X and a few more things, why is memory used 380092k, around the 57%?
And why if the most memmory consuming process from the list below is just using 2%

Maybe is that memory is not beeing freed?

Sorry for my English! smile

#2 2009-04-12 03:01:21

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Re: Is this ram usage possible?

Short answer -> cached memory.

Not-so-short -> RAM is fast, and keeping apps in memory mean that they can start up again much faster than if they are paged back to hard disk. This does not affect memory other apps can use, since if its needed this memory can be freed up. For example, the first time firefox is started up, it takes ages, but if you close it and start it again it starts snappily.

With regards to your system slowing down, I'd suggest looking somewhere else than RAM.

Oh, and btw, 2% is CPU, not RAM (RAM is %MEM)

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

Board footer