You are not logged in.

#1 2009-04-12 11:34:50

z.s.tar.gz

video lag after new install

I have just installed arch on my desktop after trying another distro, and now everything is incredibly laggy. I am using the opensource ati driver, and it never was this slow.

I really dont know if it is gnome, X, ATI, or something else that is my problem. I'll begin troubleshooting it later, after I do some work.

Anyone have a similar problem?

Edit: I have modified my xorg.conf as perscribed on the wiki, and have noticed some improvement, although the problem is not resolved.
Also, let me define lag: whenever I move a window, it is drags behind the mouse and jumps quite a lot. Whenever a window is  loaded or refreshed, there is a noticable downward wipe as objects load.
Next I'm going to try my bios settings, may have messed something up in there...

Edit dos: I have edited my xorg.conf again, this time exchanging the "radeon" driver for "ati". I have seen a significant improvement in window loading, and windows no longer drag behind when moved, but there is still a significant amount of jumping. Now for bios...

Edit tres: I have tested several things in my bios relating to the graphics card, and see no difference. I'm going to do some more research and see what I can find.

Is anyone out there having a similar issue?

Edit cuatro: I have installed openbox and windows do the same thing. This means my problem is either the ATI driver or X.

Last edited by z.s.tar.gz (2009-04-13 11:16:19)

I need to find a way out so everyone can find their way out.
Resregietd Lunix Uesr: 485581

Board footer