You are not logged in.

#1 2009-04-12 08:28:59

Sekra

how to remove a program when installed from source with python[solved]

I have a problem where I installed a program (fail2ban) earlier from the sources and it used a python setup script to install. Now I noticed that pacman also offers fail2ban. I want to keep my system clean so I want to first remove the version I installed from sources but I cannot find any way to do that. The readme told me to install using "python setup.py install" but there is no "python setup.py uninstall" or anything similar. I am getting very frustrated about this issue.

Last edited by Sekra (2009-04-12 09:47:56)

#2 2009-04-12 08:38:34

Allan
Pacman
Website

Re: how to remove a program when installed from source with python[solved]

There may be something like "python setup.py uninstall"

#3 2009-04-12 08:40:17

Sekra

Sekra wrote:

The readme told me to install using "python setup.py install" but there is no "python setup.py uninstall" or anything similar.

Ehm?

#4 2009-04-12 08:54:35

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

If you can't find a clear list of files that it installed and other changes that it made, you could try using pacpal's "--list-unpkgd" option if you have an idea of where it's installed.

You could also just force-install the pacman package and hope that it overwrites all of the manually installed files.

The last thing that I can think of is manually installing fail2ban in a chroot and then checking what files it creates.

My Arch Linux StuffForum EtiquetteCommunity Ethos - Arch is not for everyone

#5 2009-04-12 08:58:15

Allan
Pacman
Website

Sekra wrote:
Sekra wrote:

The readme told me to install using "python setup.py install" but there is no "python setup.py uninstall" or anything similar.

Ehm?

HAHA!  I should read things more carefully...  If you know some python, you can also look at the setup.py script and see what it installs.

#6 2009-04-12 09:30:54

Sekra

solved the problem by removing everything I could find with 'locate fail2ban'.. I hope I didnt break anything by doing that

#7 2009-04-12 09:32:27

tomk
Forum Fellow

Or you can see what has been installed by running setup.py again with --root=/some/dir, and then looking in /some/dir.

#8 2009-04-12 09:39:57

plurt

tag [SOLVED] ? smile

When everything's coming your way, you're in the wrong lane I say.
FAQ / Beginners Guide / The Arch Way

#9 2009-04-12 09:49:09

Sekra

tomk wrote:

Or you can see what has been installed by running setup.py again with --root=/some/dir, and then looking in /some/dir.

Dont want to mess up the system. I'm amazed how ppl tell that linux is advanced and stuff but then you cant find a simple uninstall command for things like this.

#10 2009-04-12 12:08:52

Mr.Elendig
#archlinux@freenode channel op

Sekra wrote:
tomk wrote:

Dont want to mess up the system. I'm amazed how ppl tell that linux is advanced and stuff but then you cant find a simple uninstall command for things like this.

No different from windows.
Anyway, this is why package managers like pacman exists. You should have used it in the first place smile

Evil #archlinux@libera.chat channel op and general support dude.
. files on github, Screenshots, Random pics and the rest

#11 2009-04-12 12:16:30

moljac024

Sekra wrote:
tomk wrote:

That won't mess up your system. Anyway, be amazed that the developer of that particular program didn't provide a way to uninstall it.

Last edited by moljac024 (2009-04-12 12:18:35)

The day Microsoft makes a product that doesn't suck, is the day they make a vacuum cleaner.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But if they tell you that I've lost my mind, maybe it's not gone just a little hard to find...

#12 2009-04-12 12:34:33

Mr.Elendig
#archlinux@freenode channel op

moljac024 wrote:
Sekra wrote:
tomk wrote:

That won't mess up your system. Anyway, be amazed that the developer of that particular program didn't provide a way to uninstall it.

Sadly, setuptools is a mess hmm

Evil #archlinux@libera.chat channel op and general support dude.
. files on github, Screenshots, Random pics and the rest

Board footer