You are not logged in.

#1 2008-11-19 20:28:15

PrimoTurbo
Website

Odd network problem, eth0 timed out

So I installed arch on my new machine, everything went fine. I setup the network with eth0="dhcp" in /etc/rc.conf and it worked perfect. I boot it up a day later and network is reporting "eth0 timed out" on boot.

I searched around, archwiki said that my network card Realtek RTL8168C(P)/8111C(P) PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC could be the problem. [LINK: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Con … WOL_issue] Supposedly Wake-On-Lan is doing something odd, the suggestion was to make sure "Shutdown Wake-On-Lan" was "Enabled" on Windows XP. (This is a dual-boot system). My settings already had it on enabled in XP, I tried disabled and it did nothing. Then there was a suggestion to downgrade driver, I tried many drivers from 2006 to 2008, no help. Then I tried various livecds, all of them had no problem finding my network using dhcp.

I tried booting to arch about 10 times, at some point the network is found and I get internet. Then after I reboot I get no network connection.

Any clue what is going on? What commands can I run to diagnose this problem? I have another pc with a similar setup (different Realtek network card however) running arch with no problem.

#2 2008-11-19 20:44:54

Dheart

Re: Odd network problem, eth0 timed out

Did you try manually dhcpcd eth0 after it's failed on boot?

My victim you are meant to be
No, you cannot hide nor flee
You know what I'm looking for
Pleasure your torture, I will endure...

#3 2008-11-19 20:50:13

Sophotect

1st try: give it a fixed ip, see if it works then.
2nd try: look at the device which leases ips, maybe you can make it "more compatible" by giving it a "fixed lease" belonging to the MAC-Address.
3rd try: try to give more/change options in /etc/dhcpd.conf
4th try: change to dhclient instead of dhcpd or vice versa.

#4 2008-11-19 21:27:46

PrimoTurbo
Website

I tried dhcpcd eth0, it said that it was already running on some pid.

Sorry can you explain in more detail the steps and commands to archive what you are saying, I know a bit about arch but still a bit of a newbie when it comes to certain things.

How do I accomplish all of the following:
1st try: give it a fixed ip, see if it works then.

You mean through eth0= in rc.conf?

2nd try: look at the device which leases ips, maybe you can make it "more compatible" by giving it a "fixed lease" belonging to the MAC-Address.

No idea how to do this.

3rd try: try to give more/change options in /etc/dhcpd.conf

Is it dhcpd.conf or dhcpcd.conf (this one is empty)

4th try: change to dhclient instead of dhcpd or vice versa.

How?

#5 2008-11-19 21:55:07

Dheart

In order to run dhcpcd do a killall dhcpcd and run it again.
Sometimes when my wireless times out that's the way I fix it after several tries....

My victim you are meant to be
No, you cannot hide nor flee
You know what I'm looking for
Pleasure your torture, I will endure...

#6 2008-11-19 21:57:24

Sophotect

Yes, give it a fixed ip in rc.conf. But this has to be the range which your router/modem/whateverdevice usually "leases" out. Which leads to the next question: What do you mean by "having no idea how to do this"? Is this some thing which your Internetserviceprovider gave you, and you have no access to some sort of webinterface on it? Or can you, but don't know where it is, or how it's called there?

#7 2009-04-12 15:40:48

Falcata
Website

Sorry for the necropost, but I do have a solution, if you don't have one yet.  The issue is from a lack of a driver for the 8111C network card.  You can find the driver here: http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/dow … /RTL8111DP

I'm going to install it in a moment, and I believe it may require me to compile it.  I'll post more here when I'm done.

Board footer