You are not logged in.

#1 2008-09-09 11:02:38

dav7

[resolved] audacious and audacious-plugins need to be kept in sync

After just upgrading audacious, it segfaulted on startup.

Poked around, strace showed that it segfaulted shortly after accessing something in .config/audacious, so I renamed that. It started up and worked until I tried to actually add something to the playlist. After which it segfaulted again.

After cd'ing to my pacman cache to find which old version to restore, I noticed the audacious-plugins package.

After upgrading that, audacious works fine.

So...

audacious either needs to be set to depend on audacious-plugins (IMHO the recommended action, not sure if this goes against some kind of policy though), or the the audacious package needs to be configured to alert the user to upgrade the audacious-plugins package.

-dav7

Last edited by dav7 (2008-09-09 12:45:54)

Windows was made for looking at success from a distance through a wall of oversimplicity. Linux removes the wall, so you can just walk up to success and make it your own.
--
Reinventing the wheel is fun. You get to redefine pi.

#2 2008-09-09 11:34:55

tigrmesh
IRC Op

Re: [resolved] audacious and audacious-plugins need to be kept in sync

Devs don't always have time to read the forums; file a feature request in the bug tracker.

#3 2008-09-09 11:47:47

Cerebral
Forum Fellow
Website

Exactly how did you upgrade audacious without upgrading the plugins?

-edit- I guess my point here is that nothing should need to change on our side.  audacious-plugins depends on audacious, as it should.  You went and upgraded a dependency out from under the plugins package, and things broke - it's your own fault, not ours.  We shouldn't be putting a warning on the db package saying "Hey, you upgraded db, make sure you upgrade every package that depends on db as well!" - we also shouldn't be putting a warning on audacious.

#4 2008-09-09 12:45:27

dav7

...oh. Well, I thought... I can't remember.

Sorry for the trouble?

-dav7

Windows was made for looking at success from a distance through a wall of oversimplicity. Linux removes the wall, so you can just walk up to success and make it your own.
--
Reinventing the wheel is fun. You get to redefine pi.

#5 2008-09-09 13:15:13

Cerebral
Forum Fellow
Website

Don't worry about it. smile

I should clarify though - my post was my personal opinion, even though I spoke with a dev hat on, which I shouldn't be doing because I'm not a dev anymore.  If you think something should change (a new warning in the .install or something) feel free to open a bug report and ask the current maintainer of Audacious.  Used to be my package, so I guess I'm still a bit defensive of my old decisions. tongue

#6 2009-04-12 15:48:19

marciorp
Website

Well, it is just that it seems more natural that audacious depends on the plugins than the plugins depend on audacious, even though i realize it probably is the other way around. I was just trying to find a player, -Ss'd for "music", then i "-S audacious". I just discovered the plugins package after the damn thing wasn't playing.

----
Marcio

Board footer