You are not logged in.

#1 2009-04-12 02:30:12

jimmy the saint

[Solved] openbox - icon themes are installed, but no icons display

I think I am missing something here!  I have thus far installed openbox, gdm, lxappearance and pcmanfm.  The only icon set that i can get to work is the "Tango" set from the repos.  The pre-installed "hicolor" font doesn't even work.

I will attempt to describe what is happening in as close detail as I can (but like I said, I think I may be missing something).  I download the theme, extract it to ~/.icons and it shows up in the list in lxappearance.  In the lxappearance preview, there are no icons, just the sample filenames.  If I select that icon theme, sure enough, pcmanfm loses its icons.  I have tried svg and png themes.  "Black and White" is a png theme that doesn't work, but so is Tango which does.

Like I said, this affects the preinstalled "hicolor" icon set as well, so it is not a /usr/share/icons vs ~/.icons issue as far as I can tell.  I have downloaded and installed 2 icon themes and both display the issue.  The only icon theme that works is from the repo, but there is a really limited selection in there so I would like to figure this out.

Thank you

JTS

Last edited by jimmy the saint (2009-04-12 17:09:27)

#2 2009-04-12 02:49:13

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

Re: [Solved] openbox - icon themes are installed, but no icons display

It's similar to a problem that I had but the solution was to install the Tango icon theme as a base for another one. Take a look at some of the suggestions in that thread to see if they help (specifically the .gtkrc-* suggestions): http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=65195

I would try reinstalling the following just as a sanity check:
hicolor-icon-theme
tango-icon-theme
tango-icon-theme-extras

*edit*
Welcome to the forum btw.

Last edited by Xyne (2009-04-12 02:49:34)

My Arch Linux StuffForum EtiquetteCommunity Ethos - Arch is not for everyone

#3 2009-04-12 08:11:56

jimmy the saint

Thanks for the welcome Xyne.  I looked over those threads and installed gnome-themes and gnome-theme-extras.  I reinstalled hicolor as well.  I now have well over a dozen themes and nearly all of them are either displaying no icons, or only a small portion of them.  I can't seem to find any difference between the themes that display and the ones that don't.  This is very odd and a little frustrating. 

It does not seem to be anything with lxapparance's ability to set themes or the systems abilty to use them.  It just seems like the system is not recognizing the actual images for most of them.

#4 2009-04-12 08:44:17

jimmy the saint

I found something, but I don't know if if it relevant.  Each of the icon packs is filled with folders with both image files and symbolic links.  The symbolic links are to images in the same folder.  All of these links are broken according to the "file" command.  Why would all of the symbolic links be broken when the targets are clearly there?  I think this may be the issue since many of the missing icons seem to be broken links.

Edit: I just looked at my other two machines and none of those links are broken.  This could be a sign of a bigger problem if all of the symbolic links on the machine are going to be broken.  What could cause all of these links to wind up broken like that?  I may start another thread if I can't find any info.

Last edited by jimmy the saint (2009-04-12 08:57:37)

#5 2009-04-12 17:06:59

jimmy the saint

Ok, so I figured it out.  The issue had a couple of causes, each of which affected different themes, which was why I had trouble narrowing it down.  some of the icon packs relied on the gnome icon theme.  I installed a bunch of gnome themes, but neglected the obviously named "gnome-icon-theme" package.  That fixed many of the icon packs installed through pacman.

As for the downloaded icon packs, it turns out that all those icon symlinks were being broken by pcmanfm when the icons are moved into ~/.icons.  I am not sure if it is a pcmanfm specific behavior or not, but I have never had that happen before when I was using nautilus.

Board footer