You are not logged in.

#1 2009-04-10 12:40:47

scio

Interface design

I know I seem to have this problem and I'm guessing a few of you have run into it as well.  Interface I design tend to be extremely functional, but look like arse.  Too many options, too much customization, lack of clean space etc.  Anyone have tips for getting better at KISS for interface design?

#2 2009-04-10 14:01:22

litemotiv
Forum Fellow

Re: Interface design

Start here: Human-computer interaction

Continue here: First Principles of Interaction Design

And always remember, functionality != usability

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

#3 2009-04-10 14:12:38

Lexion

Look at Mac os x for examples of good KISS interfaces.

urxvtc / wmii / zsh / configs / onebluecat.net
Arch will not hold your hand

#4 2009-04-10 16:03:35

scio

litemotiv wrote:

And always remember, functionality != usability

This is my biggest problem, thanks for the links.

#5 2009-04-10 18:03:35

litemotiv
Forum Fellow

scio wrote:

This is my biggest problem, thanks for the links.

You're welcome. smile

Good interface design can be a pretty daunting task, looks are often deceiving in that respect too; the most basic looking interfaces are sometimes the result of a very long and thorough investigation into end-users' needs and wishes, and transposing those into unambiguous interface elements that they instinctively understand, stuff which 'makes sense'. Especially on linux this is still somewhat of a problem, where most software is made by either die-hard developers who are primarily interested in adding features and functionality, or experimenting enthousiasts who don't have the time and experience to give proper attention to both. Often usability only comes into play when a product or program needs to be sold in a competitive market, like the Mac interfaces that Lexion mentions; it's one of the major reasons they are selling so good even with proprietary hardware.

I would almost be tempted to paste some "Linux Hater's Blog" links here, he has some pretty solid posts on the subject. But i'll refrain to avoid another topic shutdown (google for them!)... wink

oops, strange typo

Last edited by litemotiv (2009-04-11 08:23:13)

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

#6 2009-04-10 19:20:15

scio

litemotiv wrote:

almost be tempted to paste some "Linux Hater's Blog" links here, he has some pretty solid posts on the subject. But i'll refrain to avoid another topic shutdown (google for them!)... wink

Haha, I have seen some of those before and have to agree sometimes.  It's one of the reasons I think Canonical might have a shot making Linux mainstream, they seem to have a knack for making things easier.

#7 2009-04-10 20:18:33

pauldonnelly

Read The Humane Interface. And never use dialog boxes.

#8 2009-04-10 21:29:20

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

pauldonnelly wrote:

Read The Humane Interface. And never use dialog boxes.

The inmates are running the asylum is a really good analysis of why coders suck at this sort of thing. Basically the people who design interfaces should not be the people that write code? Why? Because the easiest to use interfaces are rarely, if ever, the easiest to code. They also often result in inelegant code, which a lot of Linux hackers find more offensive than bad interfaces.

If you're in a situation where you have to do both tasks, put yourself in the users shoes. You know what everything your code does, but imagine a new user coming to it for the first time. She's not going to want to read a bunch of documentation, the general idea of how to use your app should be visible from the start. Indeed, the specifics should be visible from the start too, but few apps manage this.

Dusty

#9 2009-04-11 02:15:51

scio

Thanks for all the tips guys, hopefully I will be able to get better at this :-)

#10 2009-04-11 04:08:02

peets
Website

The "lazy" way: let the user choose their interface (like mpd does).

#11 2009-04-11 19:17:28

signor_rossi

Lexion wrote:

Hell, I absolutely don't like the OSX interface, it is too simple. tongue
And when I have to use Vista I get a stomachache, worst interface ever, it makes a perfect example on how not to do things. big_smile

#12 2009-04-12 20:28:38

jumzi

User...Interface... I'm sure i've heard of that

Anyway... Aslong it's it's usable, and not just "easy to learn" if i spend over 2h a day on a software, i don't want it to be easy to use the first time, altough it's a plus. But generally the idea of usability is far greater then that of easy to learn. Make sure it's really usable, then think out strategies you can make to make it easier to learn, graphical bindings where something happens on one row or the other etc. keep actions you use allot close to eachother. And ofc, ./scare on the mouse and carpal syndrome.

#13 2009-04-12 20:34:06

iBertus

signor_rossi wrote:
Lexion wrote:

And when I have to use Vista I get a stomachache, worst interface ever, it makes a perfect example on how not to do things. big_smile

I like the idea of having a basic set of options presented at first with an 'advanced' button that reveals the remaining options. This IMHO is the best of both worlds. Of course, the advanced options should be selectable as default so that users that want to get down to business can without having to click advanced every time.

#14 2009-04-12 20:42:11

moljac024

iBertus wrote:
signor_rossi wrote:
Lexion wrote:

I like the idea of having a basic set of options presented at first with an 'advanced' button that reveals the remaining options. This IMHO is the best of both worlds. Of course, the advanced options should be selectable as default so that users that want to get down to business can without having to click advanced every time.

+1

The day Microsoft makes a product that doesn't suck, is the day they make a vacuum cleaner.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But if they tell you that I've lost my mind, maybe it's not gone just a little hard to find...

Board footer