You are not logged in.

#1 2009-04-12 22:35:53

ashwindsharma

X not working Macbook Pro 3,1

So I just reinstalled Arch and decided to use the i686 version this time rather than x86_64 because of issues with flash. My install was fine, however, I can't get X to run. I've first tried the xorg.conf that I was using perfectly with my previous install (x86_64) but it didn't work. I then tried making a new xorg.conf file through hwd (hwd -xa) but it said "Xserver not installed" even though I'm absolutely positive it is installed. I then used nvidia-xconfig to create yet another xorg.conf file bu that did not work either (X -configure did not work either). The error I was getting was "PreInit returned NULL for "applesmc" then udev was disabled and hotplugging failed. I tried disabling hotplugging (Section "Server Flags"\ Option "AutoAddDevices" "False") however my mouse and keyboard were not working then. I'm at a complete loss as to whats wrong and really need my computer running soon.
Thanks in advance

EDIT: SOLVED
The errors were basically meaningless and I could load kdm and eventually kdemod fine without changing the config files (in both i686 and 64)

Last edited by ashwindsharma (2009-04-13 05:23:29)

#2 2009-04-13 12:51:47

dalingrin

Re: X not working Macbook Pro 3,1

ashwindsharma wrote:

So I just reinstalled Arch and decided to use the i686 version this time rather than x86_64 because of issues with flash. My install was fine, however, I can't get X to run. I've first tried the xorg.conf that I was using perfectly with my previous install (x86_64) but it didn't work. I then tried making a new xorg.conf file through hwd (hwd -xa) but it said "Xserver not installed" even though I'm absolutely positive it is installed. I then used nvidia-xconfig to create yet another xorg.conf file bu that did not work either (X -configure did not work either). The error I was getting was "PreInit returned NULL for "applesmc" then udev was disabled and hotplugging failed. I tried disabling hotplugging (Section "Server Flags"\ Option "AutoAddDevices" "False") however my mouse and keyboard were not working then. I'm at a complete loss as to whats wrong and really need my computer running soon.
Thanks in advance

EDIT: SOLVED
The errors were basically meaningless and I could load kdm and eventually kdemod fine without changing the config files (in both i686 and 64)

I haven't been able to get x to run on my MacBook 1,1. X output is the same as yours...

Board footer