You are not logged in.

#51 2009-04-13 02:55:31

joaca_rj

Re: xorg-server 1.6.0 moves to extra

it seems to be a problem with the intel driver....
i've seen somewhere in the posts that it was a problem with libgl....
...anyway...:(

#52 2009-04-13 04:13:22

1LordAnubis
Website

anyway, on my intel 945 gm system using kernel 2.6.29 + xserver 1.6 + the latest intel drivers, I get decent (50-90) fps on my tremulous server

On 2.6.28 with the older xserver and older intel drivers, I got 0-2 fps on my tremulous server (with high resolution texture mod), on other, less intensive tremulous scenarios, I saw up to 50-70ish fps, but otherwise pretty horrible, particularly bad for the past 6 months, but now Its the best performance I've seen.

Although, currently i'm using the latest tremfusion source with smp support, so maybe that is also contributing to the better performance

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.
-Benjamin Franklin
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
-George Bernard Shaw

#53 2009-04-13 09:45:47

quantumphaze

Well, I just upgraded it and restarted KDM.
Logged in and wanted to see if that direct rendering vs. compositing WM problem still existed.

Good news is that I can now have OpenGL things like glxgears go transparent and wobble.
Bad news is that the Xserver locked up after a few seconds of running glxgears. The mouse could still move but everything was unresponsive (couldn't click or type). I had to alt+SysRq it to death as alt+ctrl+F* didn't work.

I commented out a couple lines in xorg.conf to see if it dies again. Seems fine so far without any OGL things except Kwin.

▁▂▃▄▅▆▇█▉▊▋▌▍▎▏▏▎▍▌▋▊▉█▇▆▅▄▃▂▁

#54 2009-04-13 11:27:46

quantumphaze

Xserver locked up again, took longer this time.

I was playing with the screensavers and all was well. After I was done with that it locked up. Seems random though it may have been caused by the actual screensaver starting.

For the time being I will be using EXA (the default) instead of UXA (allows OGL to work with a compositing WM). Hopefully this will stop the xserver locking up.

#55 2009-04-13 12:33:26

Nepherte

Works like a charm. Finally released from the annoying

Xlib:  extension "Generic Event Extension" missing on display ":0.0"

warning.

Performance increased a lot as well. I hav a Intel GM965 and with EXA I get around 1000fps in glxgears and with UXA around 600fps (not that those "benchmarks" are important, I don't play any games). KMS works well too. A very satisfied xserver 1.6 user over here.

#56 2009-04-13 13:44:50

quantumphaze

The new driver is still acting strangely. It's no longer locking up, but the display is freezing randomly with the desktop still useable if you click blindly. Switching to a VT will temporarily fix it.

Anyway I'm using the legacy driver on this 945gm until a more stable driver is released.

#57 2009-04-13 14:04:46

Kilz

I just finished upgrading, along with the ati catalyst drivers. I had to replace the catalyst drivers with xf86-video-ati, update xorg then install catalyst and remove xf86-video-ati. Otherwise I kept getting dependency errors that could not be forced , once I replaced catalyst no force was necessary.

I trust Microsoft about as far as I can comfortably spit a dead rat.
Cinnamon is a wonderful desktop
"Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

#58 2009-04-13 14:14:25

s3kt0r

VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)

Installed xorg-server 1.6 (removed 1.5 first), installed xf86-video-intel-legacy, then rebooted into graphic mode, no keyboard or mouse (also no touchpad). Deactivated input hotpluggin on xorg.conf, upgraded xf86-input-keyboard, xf86-input-mouse, xf86-input-synaptics, rebooted, and all is good.
Things I noticed till now: better screen/font readability, haven't tried gaming yet. No more Xlib error also. Haven't installed the latest kernel, but I still think we need a better version of the driver. Thanks JGC (and everybody who took it for a spin while it was in testing).

p.s.: To fix the GEM error with glxgears, one has to add the Dont zap line to xorg.conf, did I get that right? Also, could someone explain to me what are EXA and stuff?

Last edited by s3kt0r (2009-04-13 14:28:40)

box1: Arch (linux-3.17-rc5)
box2: Gentoo (linux-3.17-rc5)
wm: subtle

#59 2009-04-13 17:09:57

bender02

s3kt0r wrote:

p.s.: To fix the GEM error with glxgears, one has to add the Dont zap line to xorg.conf, did I get that right?

No, DontZap is to get back the 'Ctrl+Alt+Backpace' for killing xorg.
GEM: memory manager in kernel. It's there from 2.6.28 on. Needed for intel driver's more advanced acceleration algorithms.
XAA/EXA/UXA: different acceleration algorithms in various xorg video drivers. The later the better (?). I think that UXA is also referred to as DRI2 (?).

#60 2009-04-13 17:31:19

Hessiess

Everything working perfectilly here, it eaven uses less ram than before, ~2.5meg. though its still more than it use to use when I started using Arch.

Last edited by Hessiess (2009-04-13 17:32:05)

#61 2009-04-13 17:32:09

wankel
Website

did anyone else lose some touchpad functionality when doing the upgrade? Everything works great except I cant two-touch scroll anymore sad

#62 2009-04-13 17:36:44

kgas

Without xorg.conf touch pad is working fine (tap options also) here. (Acer and Lenovo laptops) big_smile

#63 2009-04-13 17:55:44

tmi999

Can somebody post for me a xorg.conf for Intel X3100 card with all "performance" options for this card?
PW or some small link.

#64 2009-04-13 18:17:01

anrxc
Website

You need to install an RTFM interface.

#65 2009-04-13 19:28:22

s3kt0r

bender02 wrote:

No, DontZap is to get back the 'Ctrl+Alt+Backpace' for killing xorg.
GEM: memory manager in kernel. It's there from 2.6.28 on. Needed for intel driver's more advanced acceleration algorithms.
XAA/EXA/UXA: different acceleration algorithms in various xorg video drivers. The later the better (?). I think that UXA is also referred to as DRI2 (?).

Yeah, I found that out shortly after, sorry for that stupid question.
About GEM, I fixed it by changing video drivers, now using intel (was using legacy), also glxgears goes over 250fps (on legacy was getting 180's). Xorg is running with UXA activated.
Now I just have a minor problem, games don't really go fullscreen, they did with previous server and driver, going to try and solve it.
Thanks bender02.

box1: Arch (linux-3.17-rc5)
box2: Gentoo (linux-3.17-rc5)
wm: subtle

#66 2009-04-13 22:49:04

Leigh

After upgradibg to xorg-server 1.6.0 thismornong everything was fine except one very annoying issue that really isn't serious, but just annoying. I run triple independent screens and when I drag the mouse pointer from one screen to the next, it leaves a visible cursor on the screen it just left, even though the cursor is now on the new screen. It just stops at the edge staying visible. So when looking at the screens there are three differnt mouse cursors, one for each screen, although only one is active. When I move it to another screen the the cursor on that screen become active and the cursor on the screen I just left stops at the edge and becomes dead or idle.

I'm running x86_64 and nvidia-96xx legacy driver. Each monitor is connected to it's own card. I tested in kdemod3, kde4, and fluxbox, and is the same in all three. The only error in my xorg log file was a freetype error which I expected from reading testing posts, which I fixed. I think maybe this might be a bug with dual screens set up independently? Or maybe I need to alter my input device settings in xorg.conf. This wasn't an issue before the upgrade. I searched the forums and the net and didn't come up with anything similar. It's not a show stopper, but just kind of annoying. Can anyone else with multi independent screens confirm? I would post my xorg.conf input settings, but I'm at work right now. Is nothing out of the ordinary. very generic mouse settings. I tried removing the mouse settings from xorg.conf altogether thinking that udev would pick up the mouse settings, but then X wouldn't start. I tried changing the cursor theme which had no effect.

Edit...
Ok, I found out that xorg will now ignore the xorg.conf input drivers and will try to hotplug them by default using hal. Sorry If this was mentioned before and I just over looked it. Aparently to get xorg to honor the input device seetings in xorg.conf we should add the Option "AllowEmptyInput" "false" in the serverflags section. I have a feeling this will solve the cursor weirdness on multi screens. will find out in the morning.

Edit2...
found the solution in this thread...
http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=534670
Needed to rebuild xorg-server adding the below patch to fix the cursor. Thanks to the info added by mlee

http://cvs.fedoraproject.org/viewvc/rpm … iew=markup

Last edited by Leigh (2009-04-14 08:37:42)

-- archlinux 是一个极好的 linux

#67 2009-04-14 03:08:20

LeoSolaris

Having been tinkering with the Xorg since it landed in testing on my nVidia powered Dell Inspiron 1520. The only 'issue' I have is that I lost a feature that I rarely used anyways: the nifty circular scrolling synaptics used to provide. It didn't provide me with any exceptional benefit over traditional vertical and horizontal edge scrolling, other than the cool/geek factor.

It does seem snappier, and it seems to be made for those of us with recent nvidia card.

I keep getting distracted from my webserver project...

huh? oooh...  shiny!

#68 2009-04-14 03:54:41

leeyee

Have seen some recommendations elsewhere say it's no need to generate xorg.conf or at least not need module load section in it anymore. Is that true?

Archlinux x86_64 on Thinkpad T400
Intel X4500MHD / ATI HD3470 Graphics, 2G RAM, 160G HD

#69 2009-04-14 04:02:31

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

LeoSolaris wrote:

Having been tinkering with the Xorg since it landed in testing on my nVidia powered Dell Inspiron 1520. The only 'issue' I have is that I lost a feature that I rarely used anyways: the nifty circular scrolling synaptics used to provide. It didn't provide me with any exceptional benefit over traditional vertical and horizontal edge scrolling, other than the cool/geek factor.

It does seem snappier, and it seems to be made for those of us with recent nvidia card.

I still have that feature. I believe you may need to re-edit/copy your hal policies (if you're using hot-plugging), or your xorg.conf if not.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#70 2009-04-14 08:12:40

combuster
Website

xserver 1.6 does not need xorg.conf anymore, everything works out of the box for me without any configuration. hwd -xa does not recognize x at all but i belive that this will be fixed soon. I think I can just add specific strings to the xorg.conf (for UXA ie).The only problem so far is scrolling on my touchpad. I have Alps touchpad on Dell Vostro 1310 and with xserver 1.5 editing the fdi files didn't solved the problem (didn't have tapping either) now it's much better without editing hal fdi files, i have tapping, pointer moves like it should, i just dont have scrolling. Tried with gsynaptics no go, System-Preferences-Mouse does not have touchpad tab like in ubuntu so for now i have to settle for no scrolling.

Performance difference between xserver 1.5 and 1.6 are tremendous, I couldn't even run compiz (got white colour-filled window when i run terminal) and all sorts of artefacts, now everything works great (da ne cuje zlo smile)

I belive that in six months time we will have noticeable performance upgrade with UXA enabled by default, we just have to wait for them to all agree between themselves (intel, tungsten, xorg dev's etc...)

#71 2009-04-14 08:45:55

jiu

Did someone manage to make the new intel driver work with an i810 card? or does this card only work with the intel-legacy driver?

#72 2009-04-14 13:18:44

leeyee

combuster wrote:

xserver 1.6 does not need xorg.conf anymore, everything works out of the box for me without any configuration. hwd -xa does not recognize x at all but i belive that this will be fixed soon. I think I can just add specific strings to the xorg.conf (for UXA ie).The only problem so far is scrolling on my touchpad. I have Alps touchpad on Dell Vostro 1310 and with xserver 1.5 editing the fdi files didn't solved the problem (didn't have tapping either) now it's much better without editing hal fdi files, i have tapping, pointer moves like it should, i just dont have scrolling. Tried with gsynaptics no go, System-Preferences-Mouse does not have touchpad tab like in ubuntu so for now i have to settle for no scrolling.

Performance difference between xserver 1.5 and 1.6 are tremendous, I couldn't even run compiz (got white colour-filled window when i run terminal) and all sorts of artefacts, now everything works great (da ne cuje zlo smile)

I belive that in six months time we will have noticeable performance upgrade with UXA enabled by default, we just have to wait for them to all agree between themselves (intel, tungsten, xorg dev's etc...)

Good, but I decide to keep xorg.conf there, because in it I configured touchpad scrolling and turned uxa on.

Archlinux x86_64 on Thinkpad T400
Intel X4500MHD / ATI HD3470 Graphics, 2G RAM, 160G HD

#73 2009-04-14 14:49:53

oringo

Hi, just upgraded to xorg-server-1.6.0. I'm using radeonhd driver, and now scrolling in firefox is super-duper slow. I tried xf86-video-ati, but it always shuts off one of my two displays when I use xrandr to expand the desktop. Glxinfo reports that direct rendering is "Yes". Any tips?

[EDIT] I just noticed that /dev/dri is empty. What's going on?

(EE) and (WW) lines in Xorg.log:

(WW) AllowEmptyInput is on, devices using drivers 'kbd', 'mouse' or 'vmmouse' will be disabled.
(WW) Disabling Mouse0
(WW) Disabling Keyboard0
(WW) RADEONHD(0): Direct rendering for R600 and up forced on - This is NOT officially supported yet and may cause instability or lockups
(EE) RADEONHD(0): RHDDRIVersionCheck: drmOpen("radeon", "pci:0000:01:00.0") failed.
(WW) RADEONHD(0): RHDDRIPreInit: Version check failed. Disabling DRI.
(WW) RADEONHD(0): Unknown vendor-specific block 0
(WW) RADEONHD(0): RHDCSInit: No CS for R600 and up yet.
(EE) RADEONHD(0): TMDSAVoltageControl: unhandled chipset: 0x94C4.
(EE) RADEONHD(0): TMDSBVoltageControl: unhandled chipset: 0x94C4.
(WW) RADEONHD(0): Option "XAANoOffscreenPpixmaps" is not used
(WW) RADEONHD(0): Option "AGPMode" is not used
(EE) RADEONHD(0): TMDSAVoltageControl: unhandled chipset: 0x94C4.

xorg.conf:

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier     "X.org Configured"
    Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
#    Option "AllowEmptyInput" "false"
    InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
    InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier  "Keyboard0"
    Driver      "kbd"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier  "Mouse0"
    Driver      "mouse"
    Option        "Protocol" "auto"
    Option        "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
    Option        "ZAxisMapping" "4 5 6 7"
EndSection

Section "Module"
    Load    "ddc"
    Load    "dri"
    Load    "drm"
    Load    "glx"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier    "Dell22"
    Option        "RightOf" "Mac22"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier    "Mac22"
EndSection

Section "Device"
     Identifier    "rhd2400"
     Driver        "radeonhd"
#     Driver        "ati"
     Option        "XAANoOffscreenPpixmaps" "true"
#     Option        "monitor-DVI-1" "Dell22"
#     Option        "monitor-DVI-0" "Mac22"
#     Option        "RROutputOrder"    "Mac22"
     Option        "DRI" "on"
     Option        "AccelMethod"    "exa"
     Option         "AGPMode" "4"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier    "Screen0"
    Device        "rhd2400"
    DefaultDepth    24
    SubSection    "Display"
        Depth    24
        Virtual 3360 1050
    EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "DRI"
    Group        "video"
    Mode        0666
EndSection

Last edited by oringo (2009-04-14 14:53:52)

#74 2009-04-14 23:08:51

DaveCode

There may be problems with mirrors.

pacman -Syu sure enough got current pkg list.  What happened with xorg stuff, on two mirrors tested, was that xorg-related pkg files were reported missing.  Everything else I was able to upgrade with pacman -S.

Why does a mirror show something in its sync db, that it doesn't actually hold on disk?  I must not know enough about Arch mirrors.

#75 2009-04-15 05:05:00

wankel
Website

Anybody with an alps touchpad/dell get two touch scrolling to work with the new xorg? Mine was working fine before the update and now it wont work no matter what I do. All the other fuctions work (such as regular scrolling, circular scrolling, etc.)

Board footer