You are not logged in.

#1 2005-01-04 10:50:59

onami

modem !!!

how can I connect to the internet using a connexant modem ?
what module should i load?
with kppp what should i choose if there is no /dev/modem ?
help please

Forever newbie !!!

#2 2005-01-04 20:39:44

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

#3 2005-01-06 05:11:17

neotuli
Lazy Developer
Website

Re: modem !!!

eek I used to have a conexant modem back when I had a dialup connection.

Conexant did something really really mean. When I first downloaded their drivers, they were in late development stage and free/unrestricted. When I upgraded to 2.6 kernel series, I needed a new driver, and so I went back to their site to look, and lo and behold, you can still download it for free, but it is CAPPED to 28.8k, unless you buy (https://www.linuxant.com/store/) a license, which will uncap it.

Personally, I ended up goin to good 'ol ebay and buying a modem that had an onboard, hardware, controller as opposed to a software based controller. These modems are harder to find, and more expensive, as PCI versions, but all ISA modems are hardware controlled. So if you've got an ISA slot for whatever reason, just get one of those..they're cheaper.
Hardware controlled modems need no special software to work in linux, the kernel picks them up as normal serial devices and they appear as /dev/ttyS[n].

I hope I've been of some help

The suggestion box only accepts patches.

#4 2009-04-13 21:38:07

stream303

Re: modem !!!

Forgive me for replying to a 4-year old thread, but this might help out anyone desperate to find modern dialup hardware that works with Linux:

USRobotics USB modem model #5637

I've used it successfully with many distros, even with my Apple PPC G5 iMac.  The packaging even states that it supports Linux, although at first glance you'd think it was Windows/Mac only.

It usually shows up on my system as /dev/acd0 and have had no problems using nothing but wvdial and ppp.

Board footer