You are not logged in.

#1 2009-04-08 19:52:21

problemkenner

DE besides the big four

Hello guys,

just for interess. Are there any noticeable DE's besides the typicial such as Gnome, Kde, Xfce and LXDE? I speak of DE's and not just only of WM's like Openbox.

Thanks smile

Last edited by problemkenner (2009-04-08 19:52:40)

#2 2009-04-08 20:08:20

Shodan

Re: DE besides the big four

#3 2009-04-08 20:15:56

problemkenner

Nice to know, anymore?

#4 2009-04-08 21:48:34

CaptainShanks

E17 (Enlightenment) is very pretty but is in heavy development, so expect bugs.

#5 2009-04-08 22:32:33

iphitus
Forum Fellow

A DE is just a combination of a window manager and some other apps.

So you can pretty much make your own. Pick and match bits you like. Take openbox for example, and maybe grab the panel from XFCE, KDE's plasma, GNOME's nautilus. There's also tint, bmpanel and pypanel for panels.

James

#6 2009-04-08 23:07:59

Nezmer
Website

Define DE .
Is a session manager required ?

For me , Awesome with built-in panel/trayer and wicked serves me as the best DE .

Last edited by Nezmer (2009-04-08 23:08:52)

English is not my native language .

#7 2009-04-09 00:05:05

mianka

See :http://xwinman.org/

#8 2009-04-09 00:19:09

sand_man

iphitus wrote:

A DE is just a combination of a window manager and some other apps.

So you can pretty much make your own. Pick and match bits you like. Take openbox for example, and maybe grab the panel from XFCE, KDE's plasma, GNOME's nautilus. There's also tint, bmpanel and pypanel for panels.

James

How to install KDE's panel alone? I thought the whole thing was integrated/

neutral

#9 2009-04-09 02:38:04

ogronom

if you think that xfce and lxde are DE than may be ROX

P.S. DE in linux is useless (and may be impossible -- who wants to restrict himself to sofware that fits DE)

#10 2009-04-14 11:48:33

problemkenner

Thanks for your suggestions - I thought there could be more.

#11 2009-04-14 14:03:28

peets
Website

A lot of "WM"s include extra features: pekwm has a configurable menu when you right-click the root window ("desktop"), wmii has a status bar, stumpwm and ratpoison have mode-lines, etc. etc. But they don't install minigames and a phase-of-the-moon-program for you.

From WM to DE or How I Learned to Stop Configuring and Love the Mouse
In this issue of Beardless UNIX we teach you how to make your own Desktop Environment, from setting a background image to managing your ever-growing music collection! Digi-ergonomics expert Ceroc Parx took time off his busy schedule to drop by our offices and explain what it takes to go from that bare and alien WM to gorgeous friendly DE!
Guys, guys, C.P. here. It's easy yo.
1. Pick a good window manager. It is the basics.
2. Pick those apps that you need. You know, to draw pictures, watch movies and listen to music. Anything that's not in coreutils. Oh hell I'ma do it for ya right now: mplayer, mpd, p7zip, gimp, pidgin, firefox.
3. Find out what you need to see at all times, like the datetime, temperature, volume, what song's playing, and where your girlfriend's at. Then write yourself a nice dzen.
4. Tweak your .Xdefaults for pretty colours.
Allright that's all folks! yeeha.
[]

#12 2009-04-14 14:07:30

SomeGuyDude

Like others have said, a DE is a handful of packages, not a concrete anything. GNOME, for example, is basically Metacity, the gnome-panel, Nautilus, GDM, plus a handful of background this'n'thats. In effect, a DE is a window manager, panel/taskbar/whatever, file manager.

LXDE is Openbox with an in-house taskbar, filemanager, and terminal app. Uninstall LXPanel and don't let PCManFM manage your desktop and you've got a pretty standard Openbox setup.

Let's say you're used to GNOME+Compiz because you came from Ubuntu, and you always installed Avant Window Navigator because, hey, it looks cool. You can skip installing GNOME -entirely- and just install Compiz and AWN, then run Compiz as a standalone WM. Your computer will behave the exact same as it did before.

And in the midst of such perfection,
I can't help but feel diseased.

#13 2009-04-14 14:46:04

moljac024

peets wrote:

A lot of "WM"s include extra features: pekwm has a configurable menu when you right-click the root window ("desktop"), wmii has a status bar, stumpwm and ratpoison have mode-lines, etc. etc. But they don't install minigames and a phase-of-the-moon-program for you.

From WM to DE or How I Learned to Stop Configuring and Love the Mouse
In this issue of Beardless UNIX we teach you how to make your own Desktop Environment, from setting a background image to managing your ever-growing music collection! Digi-ergonomics expert Ceroc Parx took time off his busy schedule to drop by our offices and explain what it takes to go from that bare and alien WM to gorgeous friendly DE!
Guys, guys, C.P. here. It's easy yo.
1. Pick a good window manager. It is the basics.
2. Pick those apps that you need. You know, to draw pictures, watch movies and listen to music. Anything that's not in coreutils. Oh hell I'ma do it for ya right now: mplayer, mpd, p7zip, gimp, pidgin, firefox.
3. Find out what you need to see at all times, like the datetime, temperature, volume, what song's playing, and where your girlfriend's at. Then write yourself a nice dzen.
4. Tweak your .Xdefaults for pretty colours.
Allright that's all folks! yeeha.
[]

echo "Screwing some other guy" | dzen2 -p

There we go....takes care of the girlfriend part tongue

Last edited by moljac024 (2009-04-14 14:47:41)

The day Microsoft makes a product that doesn't suck, is the day they make a vacuum cleaner.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But if they tell you that I've lost my mind, maybe it's not gone just a little hard to find...

Board footer