You are not logged in.

#1 2009-04-10 06:20:15

whaler

[Solved] Kernel upgrade failed; system unbootable

Upgrading to kernel 2.6.29 failed with a message about 'HOOKS, can not find raids', or something to that effect - I was upgrading at level 3 and could not copy the console text.

The kernel files in /boot are still at 2.6.28, but the system stops during boot, apparently both the old kernels are unable to locate Arch's root partition. I copied the following messages:

"Waiting for devices to settle ... done
ERROR: Failed to parse block device name for '/dev/disk/by-uuid/6967d217-51ad-440f-b604-d297d40d0dbb'
unknown

Root device '/dev/disk/by-uuid/6967d217-51ad-440f-b604-d297d40d0dbb' doesn't exist, attempting to create it

ERROR: Failed to parse block device name for '/dev/disk/by-uuid <same number>'
ERROR: Unable to create/detect root device '/dev/disk/by-uuid <same number>'

Dropping to a recovery shell... type 'exit' to reboot

Note: klibc contains no 'ls' binary, use 'echo * ' instead

If the device  '/dev/disk/by-uuid <same number>' gets created while you are here, try adding 'rootdelay=8' or higher to the kernel command-line

ramfs$"

I can access Arch's root partition from other Linux OS', so at least for ordinary file access the disk seems to be OK. I also boot my other Linuxen from Arch's boot partition (GRUB's menu.lst).

I feel half naked without Arch...

Last edited by whaler (2009-04-13 22:27:11)

#2 2009-04-10 06:41:38

sand_man

Re: [Solved] Kernel upgrade failed; system unbootable

neutral

#3 2009-04-10 13:02:27

whaler

Thank you. I will try, but I fear I won't be able to edit mkinitcpio.conf properly... Not sure where the unfound 'raid-partitions' belong.

#4 2009-04-11 15:48:12

cell

Did you try a roll back?
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Kernel_Panics
Works wonders if you just want to get on with life.

Do anyone know if this will be fixed in a update? (read I am to lazy to try to follow any fixes and would prefer to wait it out) (:

edit;

FYI, I now got it running with kernel 2.6.29-ARCH.

I had some old issues with mkinitcpio.conf which just goes to prove how lazy I am.
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Con … mkinitcpio
For instants I used hook raid-partitions and I don't even have raid setup atm.

Then I change to a secret uptodate mirror which I really think made a difference.
Had a look here-
http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=66612

and, well it works fine now  (:

Last edited by cell (2009-04-11 16:55:11)

#5 2009-04-12 02:00:24

whaler

Thank you for these references, cell. When Arch flipped out I got more than my trousers in a twist, as it were, and had to quickly move to another OS. I will have a hard look at Arch again as soon as time permits me to be as lazy as you... wink

#6 2009-04-13 22:20:28

whaler

All hail cell!! cool

Thanks again, cell, for pointing me to the rollback wiki page!

Here's what I did:

I changed this line in /etc/mkinitcpio.conf:

HOOKS="base udev autodetect pata scsi sata usb net raid-partitions keymap encrypt filesystems"

to this:
HOOKS="base udev autodetect pata scsi usb net keymap encrypt filesystems"

I have two sata disks configured as a raid, but not using them...

I also changed from UUID to /dev/sdXx in GRUB.

Then I followed the rollback instructions, except instead of rolling back I chose to build the latest kernel, which had failed to build during the upgrade.

The system booted without a hitch, except for the usual warning about my keyboard mapping, which I never seem to be able to fix...

A small note about the wiki: I was told I must use 'root', not 'arch', in order to mount the system from the CD.

Well, back to normal - guessing at whatever will break next... wink

Last edited by whaler (2009-04-13 22:23:56)

#7 2009-04-14 00:20:57

Preston C.

whaler, I am having exactly the same problem as you. Would you please answer a couple of question, wink.

- Is it possible to access /etc/mkinitcpio.conf from the boot menu?
- How do I access the GRUB file?
- Arch is on /dev/sdb, do you know what I should put in the Grub file, and where?
- Last, how did you build the latest kernel?

Many Thanks,
Preston

#8 2009-04-14 22:43:40

whaler

Preston C. wrote:

whaler, I am having exactly the same problem as you. Would you please answer a couple of question, wink.

- Is it possible to access /etc/mkinitcpio.conf from the boot menu?
- How do I access the GRUB file?
- Arch is on /dev/sdb, do you know what I should put in the Grub file, and where?
- Last, how did you build the latest kernel?

The last question first: I had the old (i.e. former) kernel(s) (-2.6.28) sitting in /boot, and found that I had the new kernel package here:

/var/cache/pacman/pkg/kernel26-2.6.29.1-3-x86_64.pkg.tar.gz

Since I felt I had nothing much to lose, I decided to try building the newer kernel instead of the old one, and followed the instructions for 'Option 2' on this page:

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Kernel_Panics

Note that the author says to start with 'arch', but I had to login to the CD as 'root' in order to perform the various mounts as described. Other than this exception I followed the instructions to the letter... wink

I really don't know if it is possible to load and make any changes in GRUB's '/boot/grub/menu.lst' file or the '/etc/minitcpio.conf' file from Arch's installation disc. I never checked to find out if it comes with any tools, like f.inst. Nano. If it does, you can edit the files after having mounted your Arch root partition from the installation disc, i.e. '# mount /dev/sdXY /mnt' as described in the link above. I did my changes in these files when booted from other OS's I have on my box. If neither of these two options are available, any live distro which allows access to the CD's root should be usable. It might also be possible to run nano after having chroot'ed into Arch from the installation disc; I don't know and haven't tried. I am a perennial Linux noob! smile

Here is the section for booting Arch's default kernel in my GRUB menu.lst:

# (0) Arch Linux
title  Arch Linux
root   (hd0,2)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz26 root=/dev/sda3 ro vga=773
initrd /boot/kernel26.img

As you can see, 'root=' now points to '/dev/sda3'.

'root  (hd0,2)' means the same, but is GRUB's notation. If your Arch /boot and /root partitions are on sdb, it should be (hd1,?) - the question mark being Arch's partition number, minus one (GRUB is still clinging to the nutty and confusing practice of counting from 0). Good luck!

Last edited by whaler (2009-04-14 22:44:28)

#9 2009-04-15 05:15:35

Preston C.

Thank you whaler. Am leaving to go out of town tomorrow, to the boondocks, so cannot fix it now. Will get back to you after I get back from trip.

Board footer