You are not logged in.

#1 2009-04-15 01:37:41

fuscia

kan't get rid of kdemultimedia

did pacman -Rs kdemultimedia and juk, dragonplayer and kscd are still there. it used to work, even as recently as a week or two ago. baffled. pacman -Q shed no light on the subject.

#2 2009-04-15 02:22:38

Chrysalis

Re: kan't get rid of kdemultimedia

Define 'still there'

Did the uninstall fail or just left over icons in your menu? If its the latter log out and back in.

#3 2009-04-15 04:02:32

fuscia

what i'm guessing is that juk, dragon player and kscd are now part of another package (kdebase, maybe?) and no longer part of kdemultimedia. i uninstalled all the kde stuff, tried to run those three apps and they were gone. then, i reinstalled kdebase, the work thing, kdegraphics, games and some plasma addons and not kdemultimedia and they ended up installed again.

#4 2009-04-15 04:55:08

Chrysalis

Come on, use your brain and learn pacman... they are not part of any other pkg. It was probably pulled as a dependency for something...

And use kdemod if you want to pick and choose components.

Last edited by Chrysalis (2009-04-15 04:56:22)

#5 2009-04-15 05:23:39

fuscia

Chrysalis wrote:

Come on, use your brain and learn pacman... they are not part of any other pkg.

i think you may have misunderstood. a week or so ago, juk, dragon player and kscd were part of kdemultimedia. if i wanted those apps, i would do pacman -S kdemultimedia (in addition to kdebase, etc., if i hadn't already installed it). a week ago, doing pacman -Rs kdemultimedia would remove those apps. that appears no longer to be the case.

It was probably pulled as a dependency for something...

a wild guess that's wrong. looking at the info on the latest update for that package - http://www.archlinux.org/packages/extra … ultimedia/ -  you can see that nothing depends on it. anyone else have any idea about this?

#6 2009-04-15 05:59:31

Chrysalis

That link means nothing, atleast one thing that comes to mind is k3b. Look at 'pacman -Qii <pkg>' on relevant pkgs.

#7 2009-04-15 06:05:53

Ghost1227
Forum Fellow
Website

you 'kant' get rid of anything kde from the looks of it... can't is spelled with a c, not a k

.:[My Blog] || [My GitHub]:.

#8 2009-04-15 06:12:04

fuscia

Chrysalis wrote:

That link means nothing, atleast one thing that comes to mind is k3b. Look at 'pacman -Qii <pkg>' on relevant pkgs.

k3b is not part of kdemultimedia (was it ever?). it's still essentially kde3. as for pacman -Qii juk, for example, it says "package juk not found" (perhaps it should have looked just to our left of konsole...)

tMWowMA

#9 2009-04-15 14:15:42

Chrysalis

First of all, i was talking about pkgs that depend on kdemultimedia that would have brought it in.

Second... I said <pkg> and not some random app

Third... i am not replying again untill you do this

Chrysalis wrote:

use your brain and learn pacman...

Based on your questions/replies so far and your utter lack of trying to help yourself and RTFM, i am pretty certain Arch is not for you. Of course, thats just my oppinion, if you disagree simply ignore it.

And lastly, heres something that might interest you...
http://www.slash7.com/articles/2006/12/22/vampires

#10 2009-04-15 14:59:53

fuscia

Chrysalis wrote:

First of all, i was talking about pkgs that depend on kdemultimedia that would have brought it in.

Second... I said <pkg> and not some random app

according to the link i provided earlier, there are no packages that depend on kdemultimedia (that was the point of posting that link). the apps that typically have come with it are not available separately. pacman -Qii kdemultimedia results in the expected "package "kdemultimedia" not found". i have not installed it, so of course it is not going to be found, but the apps that are normally bundled under the name "kdemultimedia" are installed and working. one can only conclude that they now come as part of another kde package. which one that is remains the mystery at hand.

Third... i am not replying again untill you do this

please don't reply at all. you've been nothing but an ill-mannered boor, and worse, no help at all.

#11 2009-04-15 15:22:03

Cerebral
Forum Fellow
Website

So... what's the question here?  What are you trying to solve?

pacman -Qi kdemultimedia will tell you if kdemultimedia is installed
pacman -Qo $(which juk) should tell you who owns the 'juk' binary, if such a binary exists on your system.

'man pacman' is your friend.

#12 2009-04-15 16:01:43

fuscia

Cerebral wrote:

So... what's the question here?  What are you trying to solve?

previously (as recently as a week ago), installing 'kdemultimedia' would install the apps juk, dragon player and kscd (there are probably others, but those were the only ones i used). now, those apps (juk and friends) appear to be installed whether or not one installs 'kdemultimedia'. i can find no notice of a change in the packaging of these apps that has them being installed with, most likely, 'kdebase' (i would guess).

pacman -Qi kdemultimedia will tell you if kdemultimedia is installed
pacman -Qo $(which juk) should tell you who owns the 'juk' binary, if such a binary exists on your system.

right, countless instances of pacman -Qi kdemultimedia have confirmed that kdemultimedia is not installed, at all.

i've never used pacman -Qo before and i hope i did this correctly. pacman -Qo /usr/bin/juk results in "error: No package owns /usr/bin/juk". to compare, pacman -Qo /usr/bin/gwenview results in "/usr/bin/gwenview is owned by kdegraphics 4.2.2-2".

'man pacman' is your friend.

it usually is, despite my lack of skills. thanks for the response.

#13 2009-04-15 16:37:12

Chrysalis

Try installing kdemultimedia again, you probably need to force it 'pacman -Sf kdemultimedia' and then uninstalling again. No idea how you end up removing only the db but not the pkg files.

Also, ask yourself what you want answered and give more details then one line of text next time you ask questions instead of calling me names.

Last edited by Chrysalis (2009-04-15 16:38:17)

#14 2009-04-15 18:06:41

fuscia

update - i went to some pretty extreme lengths to remove everything kde (including manually removing juk,etc. from /usr/bin) and then reinstalled it all, one package at a time. to make a long story short, juk and friends do appear to be part of kdemultimedia, still.

Chrysalis wrote:

Try installing kdemultimedia again, you probably need to force it 'pacman -Sf kdemultimedia' and then uninstalling again. No idea how you end up removing only the db but not the pkg files.

this actually turned out to be helpful. i needed to use -Sf in order to reinstall 'kdemultimedia'. this time, however, when doing pacman -Rs kdemultimedia, juk&friends were succesfully removed. so, the mystery remains as to how i was able to previously remove 'kdemultimedia' without removing the apps associated with it. i guess that means the problem potentially still exists (even if it were the result of user error).

Also, ask yourself what you want answered and give more details then one line of text next time you ask questions instead of calling me names.

i apologize for calling you a boor. i should have said that i found your "use your brain, RTFM and don't use arch (or, whatever it was you said)" to be boorish behavior. it serves no purpose. secondly, as an end user who is still learning about arch and linux in general, it can sometimes be difficult to identify a problem enough to ask a specific question about it. i find it best to ask what i know of rather than add details i may be wrong about and which may be misleading to even the most seasoned of veterans.

#15 2009-04-15 19:10:01

Cerebral
Forum Fellow
Website

Well, in general, stating your question in the form of a question will generally get you better results.

For example, instead of:

did pacman -Rs kdemultimedia and juk, dragonplayer and kscd are still there. it used to work, even as recently as a week or two ago. baffled. pacman -Q shed no light on the subject.

you could have said

Did pacman -Rs kdemultimedia and juk, dragonplayer and kscd are still in the filesystem. I've tried to run pacman -Q kdemultimedia but it says kdemultimedia is no longer installed.
Did juk/dragonplayer/kscd move packages?  How would I find out why they're still there?

#16 2009-04-16 01:15:04

fuscia

Cerebral wrote:

Well, in general, stating your question in the form of a question will generally get you better results.

For example, instead of:

you could have said

Did pacman -Rs kdemultimedia and juk, dragonplayer and kscd are still in the filesystem. I've tried to run pacman -Q kdemultimedia but it says kdemultimedia is no longer installed.
Did juk/dragonplayer/kscd move packages?  How would I find out why they're still there?

aside from being in the form of a question, i'm not sure i really see a big difference between the two. but, i'll give it a shot.

the remaining issue that concerns me is how i managed to uninstall 'kdemultimedia' without uninstalling juk, kmix, dragon and kscd with it. i looked through .bash_history and in every instance of uninstalling 'kdemultimedia' in the past, i used pacman -Rs kdemultimedia to do so. i've never had this problem, ever. so, what could be the possible explanation(s) for why it happened? is there something i can do diagnostically to look into possible user errors on my part?

also, i am under the impression that 'forcing' a package is something one should do sparingly (i used it the other day to solve the xorg update issue and again today to try to recreate the problem of this thread). is that so? is it less true with arch?

#17 2009-04-16 04:48:28

Chrysalis

Yea, you should never force blindly, use 'pacman -Qo <file>' on the conflicting files first to see where they came from and make sure its safe to replace them. Sometimes it'll be random files created by previous postinstall scripts, theres usually news on the front page for those like xorg's last update. And when you force only force a single pkg.

Dont know about your kdemultimedia db problem... could be anything from power failiers/system crash/filesystem problems to hardware problems. Its never happened to me.

Last edited by Chrysalis (2009-04-16 04:53:50)

#18 2009-04-16 11:17:39

Cerebral
Forum Fellow
Website

It may have also been a hard-to-reproduce pacman bug - something that rarely happens and so is yet unknown to the developers.

#19 2009-04-16 12:48:52

fuscia

Cerebral wrote:

It may have also been a hard-to-reproduce pacman bug - something that rarely happens and so is yet unknown to the developers.

pacman's not perfect? wow! i had no idea.

Board footer