You are not logged in.

#1 2009-04-17 19:36:10

secdroid

Yet Another Happy New User

Please indulge me, while I say "thank you" for all of the work that went into Arch & the documentation.

I've used various *nixes for a long time but got lazy and started using Ubuntu Dapper.  More and more I found that new Ubuntu releases caused breakage on my not-quite-current hardware.  Funny, other distros ran fine on the same hardware.

The last straw was when I did a newbie install of Arch 2009.02, got a bit of newbie help from the forum, and got a working Arch/LXDE configured exactly my way.  Easier than I expected.  Should have done it years ago.

For comparison, I downloaded Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Release Candidate Alternate Install, did a command line install, and then added Xorg and LXDE.  All fullscreen apps crash.  Copied the Jaunty customized (resolution) xorg.conf over to Arch and everything runs beautifully with that xorg.conf, using the same hardware.

The last three or four releases of Ubuntu had nice features, but all had stability/quality/hardware detections issues for me.  Other distros were fine on the same hardware.

The Arch Way is the right way for me.  There is a right way to do KISS; simple, but not too simple.

No more 'buntus for me.

Besides, it is more fun when you take the training wheels off your Linux!  wink

#2 2009-04-17 20:03:40

evr
Arch Linux f@h Team Member

Re: Yet Another Happy New User

glad to see another happy convert smile  i think one of the nicest things about arch is the rolling release system which prevents the inevitable breakage of packages during major updates on other distros.

#3 2009-04-17 20:08:41

Stythys
Website

welcome aboard! big_smile

[home page] -- [code / configs]

"Once you go Arch, you must remain there for life or else Allan will track you down and break you."
-- Bregol

#4 2009-04-17 20:27:26

secdroid

evr wrote:

i think one of the nicest things about arch is the rolling release system which prevents the inevitable breakage of packages during major updates on other distros.

Seems to me that the "rolling release" (Arch) and the "release when ready" (Debian) make sense.  The 'buntu people cite scheduled releases as a motivating factor, which I can accept.  However, the number of bugs in Launchpad at 'buntu release time is unacceptable.  YMMV, but I own old (low "fix" priority) hardware, so the 'buntu release time bugs clobber me repeatedly.

I really like Arch on my old desktop HW.  Now, I just need to get up the courage to install Arch on my Acer Aspire One netbook (120 GB/1GB/Atom/945).  One of these days....  wink

Board footer