You are not logged in.

#1 2009-04-17 17:56:06

kolbycrouch

stumpwm compile problems

well for a few days ive been trying to install stumpwm, but it wont seem to compile, ive tried installing the stumpwm package from the AUR with no luck, it installed the depencies but fails on compile
ive also tried several versions from the official source packages but they all give me the same problem, ive search this forum and on google and found absolutely nothing pertaining to my problem

here is the error

[ kolby @ ~ ]$ cd Source/stumpwm-0.9.5
[ kolby @ ~/Source/stumpwm-0.9.5 ]$ make
/usr/bin/sbcl --eval "(progn (require 'asdf) (require 'stumpwm) (load \"manual.lisp\"))" --eval "(progn (stumpwm::generate-manual) (sb-ext:quit))"
This is SBCL 1.0.25, an implementation of ANSI Common Lisp.
More information about SBCL is available at <http://www.sbcl.org/>.

SBCL is free software, provided as is, with absolutely no warranty.
It is mostly in the public domain; some portions are provided under
BSD-style licenses.  See the CREDITS and COPYING files in the
distribution for more information.
unhandled SB-INT:EXTENSION-FAILURE in thread #<SB-THREAD:THREAD "initial thread" RUNNING {A8FC9F9}>:
  Don't know how to REQUIRE CLX.
See also:
  The SBCL Manual, Variable SB-EXT:*MODULE-PROVIDER-FUNCTIONS*
  The SBCL Manual, Function REQUIRE

0: (SB-DEBUG::MAP-BACKTRACE #<CLOSURE (LAMBDA #) {ADA6465}>)[:EXTERNAL]
1: (SB-DEBUG:BACKTRACE 128 #<SYNONYM-STREAM :SYMBOL SB-SYS:*STDERR* {90D3099}>)
2: (SB-DEBUG::DEBUGGER-DISABLED-HOOK
    #<SB-INT:EXTENSION-FAILURE {ADA09B1}>
    #<unavailable argument>)
3: (INVOKE-DEBUGGER #<SB-INT:EXTENSION-FAILURE {ADA09B1}>)
4: (ERROR SB-INT:EXTENSION-FAILURE)[:EXTERNAL]
5: (SB-IMPL::REQUIRE-ERROR "Don't know how to ~S ~A.")[:EXTERNAL]
6: (REQUIRE :CLX NIL)
7: (SB-INT:SIMPLE-EVAL-IN-LEXENV (REQUIRE :CLX) #<NULL-LEXENV>)
8: (SB-FASL::LOAD-AS-SOURCE
    #<SB-SYS:FD-STREAM for "file /home/kolby/Source/stumpwm-0.9.5/stumpwm.asd" {AD0B361}>
    NIL
    NIL)
9: ((FLET SB-FASL::LOAD-STREAM)
    #<SB-SYS:FD-STREAM for "file /home/kolby/Source/stumpwm-0.9.5/stumpwm.asd" {AD0B361}>)
10: (LOAD #P"/home/kolby/Source/stumpwm-0.9.5/stumpwm.asd")[:EXTERNAL]
11: (FIND-SYSTEM COMMON-LISP-USER::STUMPWM NIL)
12: (ASDF::MODULE-PROVIDE-ASDF COMMON-LISP-USER::STUMPWM)
13: ((LAMBDA (#:G[REQUIRE]39)) ASDF::MODULE-PROVIDE-ASDF)
14: (SB-IMPL::%MAP-FOR-EFFECT-ARITY-1
     #<CLOSURE (LAMBDA #) {AC80FF5}>
     (ASDF::MODULE-PROVIDE-ASDF SB-IMPL::MODULE-PROVIDE-CONTRIB))
15: (REQUIRE COMMON-LISP-USER::STUMPWM NIL)
16: (SB-INT:SIMPLE-EVAL-IN-LEXENV
     (REQUIRE 'COMMON-LISP-USER::STUMPWM)
     #<NULL-LEXENV>)
17: (SB-IMPL::SIMPLE-EVAL-PROGN-BODY
     ((REQUIRE 'COMMON-LISP-USER::ASDF) (REQUIRE 'COMMON-LISP-USER::STUMPWM)
      (LOAD "manual.lisp"))
     #<NULL-LEXENV>)
18: (SB-INT:SIMPLE-EVAL-IN-LEXENV
     (PROGN
      (REQUIRE 'COMMON-LISP-USER::ASDF)
      (REQUIRE 'COMMON-LISP-USER::STUMPWM)
      (LOAD "manual.lisp"))
     #<NULL-LEXENV>)
19: (SB-IMPL::PROCESS-EVAL/LOAD-OPTIONS
     ((:EVAL
       . "(progn (require 'asdf) (require 'stumpwm) (load \"manual.lisp\"))")
      (:EVAL . "(progn (stumpwm::generate-manual) (sb-ext:quit))")))
20: (SB-IMPL::TOPLEVEL-INIT)
21: ((LABELS SB-IMPL::RESTART-LISP))

unhandled condition in --disable-debugger mode, quitting
make: *** [stumpwm.texi] Error 1

thanks to everyone in advance

#2 2009-04-17 20:00:04

pauldonnelly

Re: stumpwm compile problems

Here's the important part. It means it can't find CLX.

Don't know how to REQUIRE CLX.

Have you got CLX (xlib for Common Lisp) installed properly?

Last edited by pauldonnelly (2009-04-17 20:00:48)

#3 2009-04-17 21:34:51

kolbycrouch

well i tried installing the pkgbuild for clx in the aur, but it gives me similar errors, something about asdf, so i installed the package cl-asdf from the aur, at the end of the install it gives me a line to load the library, but it drops me to some weird prompt with just > which i cant do anything in.

Last edited by kolbycrouch (2009-04-17 21:43:36)

#4 2009-04-17 22:02:52

milomouse
Website

The only way I got it to work is by installing: clisp-new-clx instead of just clx from the AUR, and I still had to remove the "--cbc build" option from the ./configure line in the PKGBUILD (as suggested by Basu on the AUR page for it). After that it configured properly and I was able to install StumpWM. This was just my experience though, and I'm not sure if that will help but it's worth a try. EDIT: Remove "build" but not the "--cbc", which is right before it. Anyway, this is still sketchy and doesn't seem to work all the time. Sorry.

Last edited by milomouse (2009-04-17 22:52:30)

#5 2009-04-17 22:08:49

kolbycrouch

thank you milomouse, i didnt think to look on the aur page sorry, i really hope it works

/edit the package wont install if i remove that option

Last edited by kolbycrouch (2009-04-17 22:18:22)

#6 2009-04-17 22:27:18

milomouse
Website

Hmm, does it install if you leave that option in..?  I'm not sure what you're running but I'm on x86_64 so I don't know if that makes a difference. Like I said, that was the only way I could get it to work for me. Not sure if anyone else has any insights on what has worked for them.. hmm Edit: And I hope you know I meant remove that line from the clisp-new-clx, not stumpwm. Probably do but just thought I'd mention that since I didn't exactly clarify in my previous post.

Last edited by milomouse (2009-04-17 22:29:23)

#7 2009-04-17 22:29:10

kolbycrouch

it does install when i leave the option but stumpwm doesnt, seems it doesnt even give me much detail, wit yaourt it seems to compile fine and just randomly sa build failed, doesnt even state why or give me any error outputs

#8 2009-04-17 23:20:40

milomouse
Website

Maybe try installing cl-ppcre. Use bash instead of zsh, too. I'm out of ideas as it worked for me, but this was a few weeks ago and I've updated much of my system since then, so maybe it's an issue with an update for something else.

#9 2009-04-17 23:28:29

kolbycrouch

well i use bash, ill try to install cl-ppcre

#10 2009-04-17 23:52:57

kolbycrouch

hmm no luck, hopefully someone can get to the bottom of this soon

#11 2009-04-18 00:00:13

milomouse
Website

Hm, indeed. I just tried to repliciate my previous install from a few weeks ago and it doesn't work. So either I did some unknown step beforehand that I completely forgot now (which I doubt) or something has changed in my system that's preventing it from compiling correctly. hmm Now I'm seeking advice as I just lost StumpWM, lol..   Oh well, I use ScrotWM as my main WM anyway, but it would be nice to get StumpWM back after this little reinstall experiment failed.

#12 2009-04-18 01:37:48

kolbycrouch

hmm i just did a pacman Syu which i havnt done in about a month or two so maybe that will help but i seriously doubt it
btw, off topic but how do you configure the bar for scrot? do you have an config you could share for that

#13 2009-04-18 03:32:14

milomouse
Website

reply to the off-topic:  Sorry, I don't use the bar at all. I have it disabled, although I may give it a try now that you mention it. Seems like there's a lot you can do with it. Hopefully it's as easy to configure as Conky. Be nice to get MPD output. EDIT: spelling

Last edited by milomouse (2009-04-18 03:32:37)

#14 2009-04-18 04:20:46

pauldonnelly

kolbycrouch wrote:

hmm no luck, hopefully someone can get to the bottom of this soon

Well, the problem is presumably that (in SBCL), the CLX ASDF system definition file (clx.asd) is not in the path indicated by the variable asdf:*central-registry*. The (REQUIRE 'FOO) mechanism is old and somewhat deprecated, but SBCL devs saw fit to hook it into ASDF, which is a portable library for loading Lisp systems (programs like StumpWM or libraries like CLX) into a running Lisp, and to bundle ASDF with SBCL. On other Lisps, like CLISP, it's necessary to make sure you've got ASDF installed, and then use it directly by calling (ASDF:OPERATE 'ASDF:LOAD-OP 'FOO) for whatever you want to load.

I used StumpWM for a while, but haven't built it recently, so the exact dependencies and the build process are not fresh in my mind. I never messed with the AUR packages for it. I thought it came with fairly coherent installation instructions though.

Last edited by pauldonnelly (2009-04-18 04:22:09)

#15 2009-04-18 20:38:31

kolbycrouch

thankyou ill try that

#16 2009-04-19 17:59:55

gianmh

Ne1 get this to work I am having a similiar experience

#17 2009-04-19 21:14:19

kolbycrouch

nope it didnt work gives me the "unhandled condition in --disable-debugger mode, quiting" which is what most things give me

#18 2009-04-22 05:02:03

kolbycrouch

ok, most likely going to be the last post in the thread, i've tried so many things to compile stumpwm, from git, from tarball, and from aur none work, so if someone could send me or host a link to a binary for it i would be very grateful, i dont care if its a built package or a compile tarball ready to be ran or make installed.

thanks to everyone in advance, this is the last wm im trying before i finally settle down on one

if anyone cares, im thinks dwm (which i've been using for the past few weeks) musca (which ive recently been using) ratpoison, and possibly wmii with a ruby config

#19 2009-04-26 18:22:05

ravster
Website

I ran into this same error message, and I'll just detail the steps I took to make this work. In ~/.sbclrc, I have

;; This is to have clx running when sbcl begins, I think
;; Load ASDF first
(require 'asdf)
(pushnew #p"/usr/share/common-lisp/systems/" asdf:*central-registry* :test #'equal)
(asdf:operate 'asdf:load-op 'cl-ppcre)

;; This is supposed to load cl-ppcre, I think
;; Note that ASDF has already been loaded (up above, in the CLX part).  If that is not so, uncomment the following line
;(require 'asdf)
(push #p"/usr/share/common-lisp/systems/" asdf:*central-registry*)
(asdf:operate 'asdf:load-op 'cl-ppcre)

After this 'makepkg'ing and 'pacman -U'ing the stumpwm-git package from the AUR worked.  I then edited my ~/.xinitrc to have "exec /usr/bin/stumpwm" and did a 'startx'. I am currently typing this post from Stumpwm.

To get the 'clx' package in the AUR working I had to change the line that has the "./configure" to

sh ./configure"

I hope it works out for you. Please let me know if this works, or if you have other questions.

#20 2009-04-26 22:53:00

slyson

I couldn't get the aur version of clx to compile either but Ravster's solution above looks good. Try his way, but just in case you are still having problems try following the git guide again; I'll assume you followed the same one as me from http://stumpwm.antidesktop.net/wiki/, but have you first tried manually installing clx and cl-ppcre? Load sbcl on the terminal and paste in the code:

(require 'asdf)
    (require 'asdf-install)
    (asdf-install:install 'clx)
    (asdf-install:install 'cl-ppcre)

asdf will give you an option to install clx in your home directory or system wide. When prompted I had to choose:

1: [SKIP-GPG-CHECK] Don't check GPG signature for this package to bypass the security checks.

Now just follow the git install guide at http://stumpwm.antidesktop.net/wiki/Git as normal.

The disadvantage of using my method is that each time pacman upgrades sbcl to the latest version it will cause the git image of stumpwm you compiled to break and complain about the absence of the old sbcl. To prevent this I stopped pacman trying to upgrade sbcl altogether by adding:

IgnorePkg   = sbcl

to /etc/pacman.conf.

One unrelated problem you might encounter is if you want to load the aur version of slime-cvs through stumpwm. I had to add the line:

#+sbcl (eval-when (:compile-toplevel :load-toplevel)

to the beginning of /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/slime/contrib/swank-presentation-streams.lisp. Remember to include the hash symbol. Until this issue is fixed I've also added:

IgnorePkg   = slime-cvs

to /etc/pacman.conf so my changes don't get overwritten by a pacman upgrade. Obviously my solutions are far from perfect, but I do at least have a working git version of stumpwm with slime.

Last edited by slyson (2009-04-26 23:27:34)

#21 2009-04-26 23:20:13

natron
Website

Weird that so many people are doing this on the same day, I was just struggling with this myself.  I'm not through everything yet, but I got clx installed.  Here's what I did as a system user (not root):

wget http://aur.archlinux.org/packages/clx/clx.tar.gz
tar xzvf clx.tar.gz
cd clx
makepkg -s
sudo pacman -U clx-0.7.3-3-i686.pkg.tar.gz

now, at this point, when the build tries to compile the dependent.lisp file, a couple of warnings are thrown.  The debugger picks those up and would normally give you a list of options of what to do, but sbcl seems to have been started with the --disable-debug option so it dumps you out to the console.  The dependent.lisp file seems to have been compiled and installed just fine though, so I ran

sudo pacman -U clx-0.7.3-3-i686.pkg.tar.gz

once again and this time it ran to completion without any problem.

Hope that helps.

#22 2009-04-27 00:55:08

slyson

Ok great stuff. Everything should work if you follow natron's directions for getting clx installed properly, then install cl-clppcre, then follow ravster's directions for getting stumpwm-git installed. I got a 'BUILD FAILED' error after makepkg'ing stumpwm-git on Ravster's directions (even though it seemed to compile ok), but after running the command a second time for cautions sake, everything worked fine.

Last edited by slyson (2009-04-27 01:02:33)

#23 2009-04-27 18:52:58

kolbycrouch

i still got a compile error, its not the same though

#24 2009-04-27 23:04:26

ravster
Website

What is it, and which stage do you get that error at?

#25 2009-04-28 22:45:46

escondida
Package Maintainer (PM)

Hey folks, sorry it took me so long to get around to this. The latest clx
package should fix a lot of this bad news for you sbcl users out there.

You still need to enter "2" (minus the quotes) when it inevitably errors during
install/compile (I'm not sure what exactly causes the hang, but telling it to
ignore it and continue works.)

And for the record...I definitely recommend using it with clisp-new-clx rather
than sbcl, if you can. Of course, if you prefer sbcl, that should not be
a problem (anymore).

Last edited by escondida (2009-04-28 22:50:33)

Board footer