You are not logged in.

#1 2009-04-16 22:26:06

Trent

GTK2 apps with Xserver 1.6: font problems

I'm having an unusual (as far as I can tell) problem with GVim on my Arch system.  I recently installed the Proggy fonts (pcf version).  ProggyClean works fine in xterm (via .Xdefaults) and in some other apps, and I can select it from the font picker dialog in Vim.  However, GVim for some reason can't display the font correctly, and it appears on screen as Sans.  The same problem appears in other GTK2 apps, like gnome-appearance-properties and gnome-terminal just to name a few, but it works in Firefox.  I should note that when I try to switch one of these apps to Proggy, I get this warning:

(gnome-terminal:12729): Pango-WARNING **: failed to choose a font, expect ugly output. engine-type='PangoRenderFc', script='common'

This problem seems to plague all my .pcf fonts.

Well, I didn't worry much about it at first, but installed the TrueType version of the font which worked fine.  Until I upgraded to xorg-server 1.6.0, and the TrueType fonts now appear large and smeared.  (I've since upgraded to 1.6.1.)  It may have been related to my old xorg.conf (there is currently no xorg.conf in /etc/X11, and X works fine) which I made a backup of, but I can't see anything obviously related.

So, my question comes in two parts:
1) How can I get GTK2 apps to use bitmap fonts?
-OR-
2) What kind of problem could I be having with TrueType fonts that they would appear blurry, and how can I fix it?

I would really prefer to be able to use the bitmap fonts and ditch TrueType entirely.

EDIT:  Running gnome-settings-daemon seems to resolve the problem for the rest of the session, but I am running Openbox and really want to ditch GNOME in the near future.

Last edited by Trent (2009-04-16 22:36:40)

#2 2009-04-18 00:31:34

Trent

Re: GTK2 apps with Xserver 1.6: font problems

Update:  I made the TrueType fonts work correctly by adding this line to .Xresources:

Xft.dpi: 96.0

I'm not sure how the upgrade changed that setting... maybe there was something in my xorg.conf that I overlooked, or maybe the new Xft has better ability to detect dpi settings.  Anyway that fixed my truetype problem.

Still wondering:  is it even possible to use bitmap fonts with GTK2 apps?  I'm not sure if this is a GTK2 specific problem but it seems likely, as xterm and xfontsel can use them but gnome-terminal, gnome-appearance-properties, gtk-chtheme, gvim, etc. all display Sans when I select a bitmap font.  Is there some setting I need to edit?  I've Googled several times but unfortunately the only promising result was a link to this thread...  amusing, but unhelpful.

Board footer