You are not logged in.

#1 2009-04-16 03:41:34

guitarMan666

STILL no midi in DOSBox

I have carefully read and followed the instructions from the ArchWiki entry for Timidity++ (which are also duplicated across many forums including VOGONS and Ubuntu Forums).  DOSBox is quite clearly connecting to the midi port 128:0, which plays midi files fine when "timidity" is used at the command line.  Timidity is running as a daemon started from rc.conf.

When I run a hardware test for my chosen program in DOSBox (Star Wars: Dark Forces, if it matters) it will "play" the music test (i.e. it will say "Playing Music" and a progress bar will cross the screen in the proper time frame) in the setup utility but it doesn't actually produce anything audible, except a pop when it starts.  The FluidR3 sound font is properly installed and configured in my timidity.cfg file.  Standard sound works correctly as well.

Thanks in advance!

#2 2009-04-17 03:23:00

Slammer64

Re: STILL no midi in DOSBox

Have you checked to make sure that PCM is unmuted and set? You will also need a set of GUS compatible patches, AUR has a set called timidity-eawpatches, try those if you don't have any.

Last edited by Slammer64 (2009-04-17 03:24:29)

Somewhere, just out of sight, the Penguins are gathering!

#3 2009-04-17 03:39:07

guitarMan666

PCM is unmuted and properly set.  I double checked in ALSA mixer, but I do have digital sound and I have proper sound in all my other programs.

I'm using the FluidR3_GM patches which were suggested in various posts and in the Wiki article.  The people there seem to be getting it to work that way, and (mostly because I like the way those patches sound).  Replacing the soundfont would be a real pain for me, since i use them in MuseScore and TuxGuitar too and wouldn't want to switch back and forth.

#4 2009-04-18 02:17:32

Slammer64

I know a lot of games will NOT runs with sound fonts, only the GUS patches, just an FYI.

Somewhere, just out of sight, the Penguins are gathering!

Board footer