You are not logged in.

#1 2009-04-18 01:05:31

MJBoa

I have a few questions about Awesome...

Alright after spending a lot of time trying to configure it and getting it to work I've hit a few roadblocks.

I've noticed that, in xterm for example, when I run things like nano, the program doesn't respond to alt and ctrl keys, it just enters text with accents and such. What's the deal?

I've also attempted to set up Shifty with very little success. I encountered some seriously counterintuitive behavior. Why is it that to make programs respond to mouse button 1 and 3 I have to hold the super aka mod4 key? I can't seem to find any real help. Yeah there's a reference list of all the functions but that doesn't help at all when I have no idea how to put it together.  The wiki is terribly out of date and there's no real first set up guide or explanation of everything in the rc. There's just a worthless mailing list and no forums.

I need this thing for this old laptop, I love the whole keyboard based thing and the lightweight aspect, I really do. Really I'm just pissed at the awesome developers for being so elitist they can't even put up any damn help.

It's got nothing to do with knowing Lua cause I can pick that up easily, there seems to be some strange default behavior though. Any tips at all with this program?

#2 2009-04-18 01:22:23

milomouse
Website

Re: I have a few questions about Awesome...

Maybe try Ctrl + Shift + Key  for nano. That's what I have to do.

#3 2009-04-18 02:32:40

kolbycrouch

hmm, i know this isnt an answer but have you tried any other tiling wms? xmonad, scrot and dwm are great choices since after all they are all based on dwm so youll find that they are very similar

#4 2009-04-18 02:44:26

SamC
Website

I've just got jump in here, and mention that while the concept of XMonad is similar to that of DWM, it shares no code with it.

#5 2009-04-18 02:45:37

s3kt0r

Another alternative: Try a diferent term? My first and and third mouse buttons work just fine, if you mean selecting and pasting text.
As for the ctrl and alt keys..They're normally used to send signals to applications running in terms, or the term itself, and you can set awesome's bindings to your likings.
Try to get through to the devs then, if things are not working as you would want. If you can't get a hold on info, talk to them, they'll know better than anyone, and improvements are always in order, I believe.

box1: Arch (linux-3.17-rc5)
box2: Gentoo (linux-3.17-rc5)
wm: subtle

#6 2009-04-18 03:03:14

MJBoa

Well I like Awesome because of how flexible it seems to be, the idea of dynamic tags is really appealing to me. I do like Lua as a configuration language, I just need a start guide and the basics. milomouse don't you feel like every program should work as it's supposed to? Especially basic things like nano, they shouldn't be presenting problems.

#7 2009-04-18 03:19:51

milomouse
Website

Ideally, yes, it would be nice if every program worked without problems. Out of the box, as it were. But combining different programs, especially those that have many defining keys, can often counteract each other, I believe.. Also, and I'm not sure about this, I think it depends on what Shell you use.  I use ZSH personally and had to define a few keys such as Delete, End and Home in the rc file. ( http://dotfiles.org/~milomouse/.zshrc ) Not sure if that would be related.

Board footer