You are not logged in.

#1 2004-11-20 16:31:20

Taz76
Website

vlc+rar != true?

Greets all!

A friend of mine has talked about that it's possibles to play video-files directly from an rar-archive with videolan (vlc).. I did a pacman -Sy vlc and got the program.. but when I try to play a video in an rar-archive (inside there is an avi-file) the program reads the file (.rar) and then reports "main input: EOF reached".. seems like it does not play the actual avi-file but insted the rar-file (which is much smaller hence the end of file-error).. so my question is.. doesn't it work to play an avi-file inside a rar-archive on linux?

/ Taz :?

#2 2004-11-20 17:13:55

Kalidor

Re: vlc+rar != true?

I'd be very surprised if it works. RAR is a proprietary encryption algorithm which is usually not used under Linux/Unix. Are you sure that the compressed file is much smaller? Usually it does not make sense to compress video files, because they are already compressed using algorithms that are designed for this specific purpose (MPEG). It's the same as with MP3 files.

#3 2004-11-20 18:43:29

Taz76
Website

Re: vlc+rar != true?

okey.. I just thought that the same program should work with the same features in linux as in windows.

I've been working with computers for almost 15 years now.. so I'm "pretty" sure that the rar-archive (47 files total) is much smaller. atleast the first file.. that's why I think that vlc must read the rar-file and not the avi-file inside.

Original releases are often compressed since many users doesn't have a good connection (many ppl in sweden, like me, have 10mbit+ up/down)..... The point of compressing large video-files is not to save bytes. <homer>*doh*/<homer>

A stupid reply get's a stupid answer back...

Board footer