You are not logged in.

#1 2009-04-20 11:24:47

Aprz

Pretty gtk2 as root, ugly as non-root? [/SOLVED]

ugly.png

Heh, this is actually a little bit interesting. I've never ran anything that requires X as root until just a few minutes ago and realized that running applications such as pidgin and firefox as root, they are significantly prettier than what it looks like when I run it as non-root, even with the same gtk2 theme as you can see in the picture above. Oh, by the way, can you guys which one is my non-root and root running the above? The left is as non-root and the right is as root. See? A lot prettier... And I always questioned why Firefox was so damn ugly on Linux. It looks like it is suppose to as root.

Anyhow, I am curious on either what my non-root account is lacking (I think it is lacking the ability to read certain files), how could I configure it to look like what it does on root, or so on whatever the deal is. To me, this is just crazy. Heh, I am not saying how it looks is totally important, I've always been a fan of usability which is why I use dwm and stuff, but this is just crazy to me, lol, crazy...

Yeap.. So any ideas what I am doing wrong, missing, so on, lalala?

Edit: Blah, I feel like a fool. tongue I played around with it more and realized it was clearlooks on root. My bad my bad my bad. :\ Well, at least y'all know what theme I'll be using. 8D

Last edited by Aprz (2009-04-20 11:35:42)

#2 2009-04-20 13:41:23

fuscia

Re: Pretty gtk2 as root, ugly as non-root? [/SOLVED]

how are you selecting the gtk theme as non-root? also, which DE/wm are you using?

Last edited by fuscia (2009-04-20 13:41:49)

Board footer