You are not logged in.

#1 2009-04-20 02:01:26

trobins

Progress indicator for Konqueror and Dolphin

In PCLOS, when I used konky to copy or move files/folders from one location to another, assuming the size was large enough to take noticeable time, konky always showed me a progress bar, complete with speed and estimated time remaining. The progress window remained on screen until the transfer was complete.

In Arch, konky and dolphin both do that also, but the status window does not stay on screen. It's there only about 5-10 seconds. If I am copying several GB from one drive to another, I'd like to know the progress and how much time remains.

I'm running KDE 4.2.2 by the way, in case that makes a difference.

I've searched both konky and dolphin's settings and can find nothing that relates to this. All suggestions much appreciated.

Tim

#2 2009-04-20 02:06:30

arkay

Re: Progress indicator for Konqueror and Dolphin

Tim,

Kde 4 hides the progress bar in the task bar after a few seconds.  You'll see a little i icon in there, if you click it, it will bring it back up and leave it there till the copy completes.  I have to agree though that I don't like this functionality as I often forget a copy is taking place and go and do something that I shouldn't do until after it's finished.  I noticed in OpenSuse even though it uses kde 4 it still has the old functionality of opening a progress box per copy and leaving it there until the copy completes.  Try as I might I haven't been able to find a setting anywhere to revert to the old functionality.  If you find it.  Please let me know.  I have a feeling it's something the OpenSuse guys have changed in the kde 4 code.

Cheers,

Arkay.

#3 2009-04-20 02:08:19

trobins

Thanks for the quick (heck - INSTANT!) response. I'll check it out.  Similarly, if you or anyone else finds a way to change the behavior, please post it here.

Tim

Last edited by trobins (2009-04-20 02:08:35)

#4 2009-04-20 11:05:04

vexxor

I use Krusader, and this new copying notification thing was bugging me. Once i realised that Krusader in root mode uses the old copy progress dialog, i looked around and found this:

First, stop plasma with `kquitapp plasma`. Then open up `kde4-config --localprefix`/share/config/plasma-appletsrc and put this somewhere in there:

[AppletGlobals][plasma_applet_systemtray]
ShowJobs=false
ShowNotifications=false

You can then restart plasma, and presto! This reverted the behavior to the old one, much to the happiness of myself smile

Oh, and here's the source: http://aseigo.blogspot.com/2009/01/toda … mancy.html

#5 2009-04-20 14:11:04

trobins

Thank you so much. That post goes in my notebook for future reference.

Tim

Board footer