You are not logged in.

#1 2004-11-21 16:40:38

Sly McFly

Installed windows, Arch is haywire.

Hey, I've been running my current arch box for about 5 months, everything has been going fine and I've had no trouble with it, until now.

I installed windows on the master hard drive, with arch on the slave, and when I booted up arch using the cd, I couldn't get my internet to start. I modprobe my pci card and it says it doesn't exist even though it worked before and windows is using it fine. Can anyone explain exactly what happened?

#2 2004-11-21 17:21:36

dp
Website

Re: Installed windows, Arch is haywire.

if you boot into arch using the installation-cd, you are using a older kernel and therefore are to expect trouble

if you are not able to install lilo into the mbr (or don't want to), you can make your own boot-cd or boot-floppy to boot into arch ... the only trouble is: if the kernele gets updated, you need to make a new boot-cd / boot-floppy :-(

i suggest you to make a backup of the MBR of your master drive and then install lilo (or grub) to it (configuring it the way you can boot into both OS's)

The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed.

#3 2004-11-21 17:33:18

Sly McFly

thank you so much, that fixed everything!

#4 2004-11-22 09:32:53

bogomipz

Just a comment on the boot-cd/floppy and kernel upgrade issue. You don't actually have to put the a kernel on the removable boot media. It's also possible to have lilo/grub on a floppy/cd and boot the kernel from HDD using that.

All of your mips are belong to us!!

Board footer