You are not logged in.

#1 2009-04-07 14:28:13

hyperclock
Website

Remastersys Port?

I was/am thinking of porting remastersys for archlinux. If there is enough interest or somebody want to help out let me know. I've only been using Archlinux for about 4-5 weeks and feel very comfortable (almost at home) with it. I started about 12 years ago with linux (suse 5.3?) and have been using debian since 2005. But archlinux is simply put "AWSOME", but I need/want a simple way of setting up systems here at home - 9 pcs of my own and 6 of the children, then come the friend aand see Archlinux and want it too.

So if you'd like to see this - let me know here.
If you'd like to help out - email or PM me. (it's in the profile)

Viruses need to be killed at the source, so I remove M$. (a long, long time ago)

#2 2009-04-07 17:46:32

gradgrind

Re: Remastersys Port?

I don't really know what remastersys does, having never used it, but you might find that larch does more or less the same thing, maybe more, or could be made to quite easily. If so it might save you some work as it is already Arch based. Have a look at the docs on the website.

And don't forget that another possibility - often simpler than the roundabout one of building a custom live CD, etc - is to just copy the installation from one computer to another (e.g. using rsync). This works well in Arch, I've done it several times (of course there is a bit more to it than that, but not  a great deal).

Last edited by gradgrind (2009-04-07 17:51:00)

#3 2009-04-07 19:20:22

Dieter@be
Forum Fellow
Website

for building a disc from your system, larch is what you should look at.
If you just want to build custom installation iso's, look at mkarchiso.

< Daenyth> and he works prolifically
4 8 15 16 23 42

#4 2009-04-08 20:16:09

hyperclock
Website

I already have taken a look at larch and mkiso. Maybe not thouroghly enough, but to me it seem somewhat complicated. What remastersys does is make a bootable and installable Live cd/dvd of your installed systen  - it does a backup as well as distributible version (whichever is wanted). It has a simple GUI (if needed) for building as well as installing.

anyway I'll take a deeper look into larch, as this was also recommended elsewhere.

(But still thinking "KISS" I think I'd prefer remastersys)

Viruses need to be killed at the source, so I remove M$. (a long, long time ago)

#5 2009-04-18 09:00:58

c0mputerking

I've used larch and it works very well with archlinux however i do not see an easy way to exclude directories which is a pain.

NOTE I have not used remastersys, but i plan to use it to move my Dapper server to new hardware very soon.  Will be nice to see what is all about if it works as well as larch does on arch i will be very happy.

#6 2009-04-21 20:09:04

smartboyathome
Website

Larchify will do what you want. It takes your installed arch system and creates a livecd from it.

Board footer