You are not logged in.

#1 2004-11-21 12:26:41

cereal
Website

Another "system won't power-off" topic...

Hi there

I'm running a "customized" 2.6.8.1-kernel here. Yesterday, I've tried to get rid of all the annoyances I had with the kernel I compiled before, so I rewrote the configuration, based on the Arch-Kernel. However, one of the problems I had before is still present: The system won't power down on poweroff / halt -p, even though I gave the 'acpi=power-off' parameter at startup. (it doesn't work with 'apm=power-off' or 'acpi=force' either)
The funny thing is, with the 2.4.x-kernel I didn't have this problem and neither did I have the problem with the arch-2.6.9-kernel. But the "Power Management"-configuration is exactly the same as in the arch kernel...
Are there any relevant options that have to do with the system being able to power down, that aren't that obvious?

I'd be glad if someone could help me...

[edit]
Well... not the whole Power Management part is the same. I didn't compile in: frequency scaling support; ACPI Sleepstate support (or something like that) and i left out the ACPI Notebook drivers...
[/edit]

"I watched a snail crawl along the edge of a straight razor. That's my dream. That's my nightmare." - (Kurtz, Apocalypse Now)

A few PKGBUILDs

#2 2004-11-21 13:39:32

i3839

Re: Another "system won't power-off" topic...

Make sure that you enabled one and disabled the other power management everywhere. So go for either apm or acpi, if you enable both it won't work. Also make sure that your bios has enabled/disabled the same as your kernel config. acpi=force is only to enable acpi when Linux would disables it because your bios is too old (before 2000 or so).

#3 2004-11-22 16:03:29

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

my grub boot line has:
acpi=on apm=off - using the default Arch kernel... try that maybe

#4 2004-11-22 16:03:57

IceRAM
Website

It's a bug in the kernel since 2.6.9bk1 (it might have affected you too).

Check the attached file at the end of this e-mail: http://bhhdoa.org.au/pipermail/ck/2004- … 01624.html

#5 2004-11-22 21:23:22

cereal
Website

The apm=off acpi=on didn't work (and it also didn't work before, with apm completely left out of the kernel)

IceRAM wrote:

It's a bug in the kernel since 2.6.9bk1 (it might have affected you too).

Check the attached file at the end of this e-mail: http://bhhdoa.org.au/pipermail/ck/2004- … 01624.html

Well...  I don't use 2.6.$xbk$y, I only patched my kernel with the voluntary preempt patch by Ingo Molnar and the patch attached to this mail doesn't match my source files...

thanks anyway, I hope I'm able to resolve this issue sometime soon... :-/

"I watched a snail crawl along the edge of a straight razor. That's my dream. That's my nightmare." - (Kurtz, Apocalypse Now)

A few PKGBUILDs

Board footer