You are not logged in.

#1 2009-04-22 09:11:21

ashyanbhog

Problem with application desktop icons in Gnome

I loaded Gnome recently on two comps. Everything is running fine, but for shortcut icons to application. Two problems with the icons,

# All application shortcuts are displayed as generic icon, with a lock over it

# When I click on any of the application shortcuts, a warning box pops up saying the application is not trusted. This happens every time.

The application shortcuts have been on the desktop for more than a year now, and work fine under KDE and LXDE.

Gnome has not been customized or tweaked in anyway and the problem is similar on both machines, and hence looks like default behavior.

#2 2009-04-23 02:08:58

fphillips

Re: Problem with application desktop icons in Gnome

How did you create these shortcuts? Also, right click the icon and check properties. Is the path correct? Does the file it points to have the right permissions?

#3 2009-04-23 16:39:32

ashyanbhog

Shortcuts were created by symbolic links to /usr/share/applications. Symbolic links have a+wrx permission, which I think is default. Defaults again for /usr/share/applications. No permissions have been changed by me, all are arch defualts

But the same shortcuts are working perfectly on LXDE and KDE even now, it is only Gnome Desktop that has a problem

#4 2009-04-23 21:58:30

fphillips

I found that on gnome if you copy the .desktop file to your desktop instead of symlinking, then run it, it will ask you "mark as trusted." Then you have the proper icon and name.

Board footer