You are not logged in.

#1 2009-04-23 10:23:49

peoro

Remote keyboard

Hello, I've got a computer with a PS/2 keyboard attached to it.
I'd like to use such keyboard to input my laptop (because it hasn't got a PS/2 port).

Can I do that without having an active session on the first machine (so without using synergy)?
Something like a command line tool that grabs /dev/input/event0 and sends keyboard events over the network would be perfect...

Thanks...

#2 2009-04-23 10:48:18

HashBox

Re: Remote keyboard

I was going to suggest synergy but I see that isn't what you're after, although by having an active session on the first machine I assume you want to be able to do this without having X running?
I think this would be possible if there was a console/gpm driver for synergy (so you could use it without X), but I'm not sure how feasible it would be to write one, although I've pondered this in the past.

Your idea of grabbing /dev/input/event0 sounds possible, and sending keyboard events over the network probably wouldn't be much of a step up from that, although I think translating it back into keystrokes on the laptop would be more difficult. Maybe you could look at the synergy source to see how they do it there.

#3 2009-04-23 22:28:08

peoro

Re: Remote keyboard

Ouch, was hoping to find something already working...
I guess synergy uses xinput or evdev to send custom events to an x server, but at the moment I'm not going to write a keyboard/mouse emulator...
Thanks for the answer anyway smile

Board footer