You are not logged in.

#1 2009-04-23 12:10:38

jcci

Gnome Troubles

Since recent updates I have some pretty annoying problems with gnome on more than one computer:

1. User can not shutdown. After clicking the shutdown button the root password is requested! neutral

2. The keyboard applet crashes sad

3. Keybord layouts does not work anymore mad

4. All desktop fonts changed hmm

5. Some Evolution freezings when closing the application.  sad

Any help is most welcome! smile

#2 2009-04-23 12:24:04

quetzyg

Re: Gnome Troubles

jcci wrote:

Since recent updates I have some pretty annoying problems with gnome on more than one computer:

1. User can not shutdown. After clicking the shutdown button the root password is requested! neutral

I confirm this issue too!

ZzZz...

#3 2009-04-23 18:28:44

Teoulas

Same here, on two computers. Can't shutdown, it asks for the user password (using sudo). Is this a new policy after the latest updates?

Last edited by Teoulas (2009-04-23 18:29:04)

#4 2009-04-23 19:02:12

loafer

I stopped this by adding my account in System/Authorisations/System... then added my user to Stop the System when... I also cheked the gnome website and it or something similar is posted as a bug.  It is a pain!

All men have stood for freedom...
For freedom is the man that will turn the world upside down.
Gerrard Winstanley.

#5 2009-04-23 23:51:11

Teoulas

@loafer:
That's the policy for shutting down the computer when multiple users are logged in, and the default (and correct in most cases) behaviour is to only allow root to do this. However, in my case (and most), I'm the only user logged in and I should be able to shut down my system as defined by the default policy (allows user on the active console to shut down; never changed that).

#6 2009-04-24 17:42:48

krupintupple

I'm getting this too. I was worried that someone else was logged in remotely or something haha...

#7 2009-04-24 20:04:40

loafer

Teoulas  -  I agree with you. As I said I stopped it rather than solved it.  If it do a "who" I see my user logged in on vc/7 and pts/0.  This looks normal.  I wonder if it now sees this as multiple logins, due to a bug?

All men have stood for freedom...
For freedom is the man that will turn the world upside down.
Gerrard Winstanley.

#8 2009-04-25 01:52:20

jcci

Actually there are workarounds for some of those problems, but this is not the purpose of installing a bigger DE like Gnome.

- For shutdown you may be able to use shutdown-dialog from AUR. Simply install with Yaourt. It works great on my Fluxbox. By the way: All Fluxbox-computer does not have any problem with shutdown. So if there should be any general policy bug in Arch those would be affected to.

- Keyboard Layout:
Just go back to the roots. I added "setxkbmap en_US,de ,  grp:alt_shift_toggle,grp_led:scroll" to the Gnome startup list and forgot about any fancy Gnome applet. This way using <alt+shift> the keyboard layout changes from US to German and the scroll-lock LED indicates the alternate layout. For typing Asian laguages I just use scim in addition.

For myself I must say that after I learned how to setup and tweak Fluxbox I'm perfectly happy with it and it is really slim and fast. But most other people in my company got used to Gnome. Unfotunately Fluxbox freezes on NX sessions which we use mostly. Just off-topic...

Last edited by jcci (2009-04-25 01:52:58)

Board footer