You are not logged in.

#1 2009-04-25 21:02:03

toad
Website

[SOLVED] - want to change from vanilla kde to kdemod

Want to change from vanilla kde to kdemod - feeling chicken here 'cos I'm on a production machine.

So what is the best way?

If I do a "pacman -R kde" I get a bunch of dependencies. Suppose I get rid of those as well (haven't dared trying), do I just enable [kdemod-core] for x86_64 and reinstall kde and dependencies from above?

Many thanks!

Last edited by toad (2009-04-26 05:41:56)

never trust a toad...
::Grateful ArchDonor::
::Grateful Wikipedia Donor::

#2 2009-04-25 21:29:21

FrozenFox
Website

Re: [SOLVED] - want to change from vanilla kde to kdemod

Might want to add the extragear repo in addition to core. Then you can just install kdemod or kdemod-minimal or whatever floats your boat. I imagine being an Archer you'd want to work up from minimal. Only suggestion is to back up ~/.kde4 and ~/.local and maybe ~/.kde if it exists. It really isn't a big deal switching over. I've switched back and forth up n down quite a lot, and problems nearly always are a result of one of the aforementioned folders, and can be resolved by starting fresh (ie killing those folders or using a different account to test) and moving stuff over from backups. Dependency issues are usually not very difficult to sort out. Just remove all kde-related things that are directly tied in to kde (ie amarok and vlc you can leave), and install.

Other than that, the chakra/kdemod site gives good instructions on being sure you don't have anything screwed up, but I'm sure a long-time user knows the RTFM by now smile

Last edited by FrozenFox (2009-04-25 21:33:45)

#3 2009-04-25 21:56:45

toad
Website

Cheers mate,

so I reckon that is a yes.

... and maybe ~/.kde if it exists.

It does 'cos my /home is about five years old. There probably is a folder for anything under the sun tongue Does that mean Arch kdemod/KDE4 has opted exclusively for .kde4?

never trust a toad...

#4 2009-04-25 23:39:41

CaptainShanks

toad wrote:

Cheers mate,

so I reckon that is a yes.

... and maybe ~/.kde if it exists.

It does 'cos my /home is about five years old. There probably is a folder for anything under the sun tongue Does that mean Arch kdemod/KDE4 has opted exclusively for .kde4?

KDE 4 is now considered standard KDE. Kdemod has a Legacy repository for KDE 3.5 though.

#5 2009-04-26 00:05:35

windtalker

The Chakra site or kdemod site, whichever you wish to call it has instructions at the download/install link for properly removing vanilla kde before installing your flavor of kdemod.
I use kdemod3.5 and love it.

#6 2009-04-26 03:34:48

fuscia

windtalker wrote:

The Chakra site or kdemod site, whichever you wish to call it has instructions at the download/install link for properly removing vanilla kde before installing your flavor of kdemod.
I use kdemod3.5 and love it.

http://kdemod.ath.cx/download-kdemod.html for kdemod4 (kde4mod?).

#7 2009-04-26 05:41:34

toad
Website

Coolio - thanks a bunch! Being relatively new I was somewhat confused with this chakra and kdemod business. It is all beginning to make sense now smile

never trust a toad...

Board footer