You are not logged in.

#1 2009-04-08 12:23:18

dcrabs

otf fonts not being recognised any more

Hi
I have the problem that all opentype fonts are not being recognised any more. I am not sure if it started with kde 4.2.2 or the latest freetype update. All I see is the icon for an openoffice template but no other options.
Does anyone know how to repair this?
David

#2 2009-04-13 14:19:32

dcrabs

Re: otf fonts not being recognised any more

Nobody?
The file for the mime-type is there.

#3 2009-04-13 14:54:44

broch
Banned

which otf: ps or ttf based?

ps based otf always have been a problem in linux. ttf based work (no wonder though) so it is not related to freetype (I have latest) but it might be to kde (I have 3.5.10 installed)

#4 2009-04-13 16:00:53

dcrabs

How can I see the difference. I used fontmatrix and kfontview and kfontinst to install and manage my fonts. Type 1 and TrueType as well some know as CFF can be displayed and used in scribus.
That means the fonts are working but KDE doesn't recognise them as fonts any more. I have the icon of an open document template.

#5 2009-04-13 18:04:46

broch
Banned

scribus does recognize ps based otf, most of linux apps will not.
while ttf based otf are in fact standart ttf, ps based otf are taking full advantage of anew format.
So if you have ttf based otf, all linux apps will recognize them. In contrast ps based open type fonts are recognized only by few linux apps including scribus. PS based OTF are not simply wrappedold PS fonts in the new format (as in the case of otf benerated from ttf), these also include glyphs, country codes and a lot of other stuff.

Why linux still has problems with ps based otf I don't know these fonts were introduced few years ago. Maybe this is a licensing problem?

#6 2009-04-14 04:43:52

Evanlec
Website

I find this also quite irritating.
Mostly the fact that OO is lacking support for OTF fonts (not sure about ps vs ttf or w/e).

This makes life quite difficult for graphic designers!@!

#7 2009-04-14 07:07:37

dcrabs

All otf-fonts are not recognised as fonts as if the mime-type is missing (which it isn't). I can use them and force kfontview or kfontinst to open them. MinionPro shouldn't have a license problem. And for example in systemsettings I can select installed otf fonts like Minion or Myriad. Before, everything was fine no matter which font. I can't confirm any general linux problem with fonts. 

@Evanlec: Yes it is really annoying that openoffice can't use them. I think it can use ttf based otf fonts. Luckily I use Latex almost exclusively so that it doesn't matter so much. For designers I would recommend scribus and inkscape anyway.

#8 2009-04-14 12:33:06

broch
Banned

openoffice recognizes otf based of ttf fonts.
However my all fonts are commercial.
Examples of otf fonts that are based on ttf and works system wide (including oo):
klavika, bryant pro,
free:
fontin

exaples of otf fonts (ps based) that do not work
myriad, minion pro, verlag, absara, maiola, quadraat, versa

all the above are recognized in scribus but not in non DTP aps. Still scribus has a lot of problems with proper recognition of glyphs for example (bitmaps is not correct).

all ttf and ps fonts work system wide of course.

#9 2009-04-15 03:18:24

skottish
Forum Fellow

Since you haven't found a solution to this, I want to post a strangeness that I had with OpenType fonts a while back. I had them all in /usr/share/fonts/otf and they worked as expected. Some upgrade, I believe to the X server, made that directory obsolete. I ended up changing the directory name from otf to OTF and my fonts were found again.

#10 2009-04-26 07:11:14

dcrabs

Ok, maybe once again for clarification. It is not about using the font. I can use them once they are installed. But when I open a folder (dolphin) with some font.otf I have the icon of a "open document template" and can't do any action regarding fonts.

Board footer