You are not logged in.

#1 2009-04-26 12:38:46

madeye
Website

[SOLUTION] Evolution doesn't print

I ran into a problem with evolution. (Just started to use gnome since last weekend, until now it's mostly been kde for me.)
What it did was to only allow me to "print preview", the other button was greyed out. I could not get it to make a printout on any of my printers. Not even on cups-pdf.

If I opened the pdf file generated from evolution/evince preview (located in /tmp) with okular, I could print just fine?!

After trying all the things I could find on the Internet, (installing libgnomeprint, gnome-cups-manager and some others. And changing some config files.) I wanted to print some test pages from gnome-cups-manager just to verify my printersetup was OK. This wasn't possible either. After that I went to the cups web interface do try it from there, and here I also had problems.

That reminded me that I had problems already a while ago configuring my printers through the web interface. I had some weird addresses on the links, and got all kinds of "page doesn't exist" errors.

Finally today (I am sometimes a little slow smile  ) I checked the weird address on the link. It started with ::1 which I at first didn't recognize at all. Now I know that it's an IPv6 address.:rolleyes:
This got me to speculate whether this could also have something to do with my problems printing from evolution. And yes it did.
I disabled the IPv6 module as described in the wiki, and all is now fine for me again.

I make this post as a heads up to everyone who might get in the same situation. I did search for a solution both here and through google, but didn't turn anything up anywhere (on the IPv6 part that is).

Wasn't really sure if this belonged here or in another section of the forum. Please feel free to move it.

Last edited by madeye (2009-04-26 12:39:42)

MadEye | Registered Linux user #167944 since 2000-02-28 | Homepage

#2 2009-04-26 12:43:15

schuay
Package Maintainer (PM)

Re: [SOLUTION] Evolution doesn't print

check out this post: http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=70418

editing cupsd.conf solved it for me

Last edited by schuay (2009-04-26 12:43:22)

#3 2009-04-26 15:13:45

madeye
Website

Re: [SOLUTION] Evolution doesn't print

schuay wrote:

editing cupsd.conf solved it for me

Yes, but I was not focusing my attention on cups at first. Printing worked fine from KDE programs, so I thought that I had a configuration problem with Gnome somewhere.

Thanks for the link

MadEye | Registered Linux user #167944 since 2000-02-28 | Homepage

Board footer