You are not logged in.

#1 2009-04-21 18:16:47

Barghest

dwm: some questions (e.g. bring floating window to the background)

Hi,

currently I'm diving into the world of tiling window managers (or at least I try to).

dwm looks nice and fast (with awesome I have the feeling that changing the master window takes much time/feels slow)

One thing I couldn't find out is how to bring a floating window to the background (or a tiled window to the foreground). Floating windows always stay on top so that they prevent mo from seeing every part of a tiled window.

Thanks in advance for your help

Barghest

Last edited by Barghest (2009-04-27 17:00:04)

#2 2009-04-21 18:34:53

rson451
Website

Re: dwm: some questions (e.g. bring floating window to the background)

I've not updated dwm since 4.7, but I don't think this behavior has changed.  Floating windows will always be on the layer above tiled windows.  Someone please correct me if this behavior has been changed.

archlinux - please read this and this — twice — then ask questions.
--
http://rsontech.net | http://github.com/rson

#3 2009-04-21 18:57:10

litemotiv
Forum Fellow

there are two things you can do:

- just switch your floating window to tiled, switch it back when you're done (alt-shift-space)

- create multiple floating windows with alt-shift-space, then cycle through them (alt-j), this will make them swap from foreground to background. this is essentially the same as when you're in tiled mode, it changes the active window (in tiled mode all windows are visible so only your mouse cursor jumps forward)

you can see in your titlebar on which level you currently are (0-- is bottom level), a floating window has a small annotation (square) so you can check what the state is and switch appropriately. it's a good idea to get accustomed to look at / use the titlebar for certain actions, you'll quickly get the hang of it and it will make your desktop a lot easier to handle when you use many windows.

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

#4 2009-04-22 01:29:53

yvonney

I hold down my modifier key and do a middle button click which... I recall I believe ... then brings whatever full/monacled window I have behind forward. Though not that I thin kof it... yes, I do resize a lot of floating windows here and there by gholding down the modifier key and right mouse button resizing... hmmm.... Guess I'll let that stand though I'm really going to get more polished at DWM in the weeks to come as 5.5 is out.

I use a nicely modified config.  really really nice few simplification changes.
leo2501 helped SO much to get me over the bumps earlier.
http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=55907
That's the thread that has the coolest config for me. Make sure you find the latest one if you wanna try it. There may be a couple there. And now that tonight I will go to 5.5 dwm i may need to learn a bit more about dwm which I look forward to.

#5 2009-04-27 16:58:38

Barghest

Thanks for your replies,

I hijack my own thread for another dwm related question. But before: I found this patch: http://dwm.suckless.org/patches/raiselower for raise and lower floating windows. May that's what I was looking for.

Ok..here comes the other question: Is it possible to set a specific layout to a specific tag? Say I'm on tag 3 and I want that all clients I open on this tag are floating? Or do you have a better suggestion?

Thanks

Barghest

P.S.: Third question :b : Do you use a tray (e.g. for gajim) and if yes how do you embed it in dwm?

Last edited by Barghest (2009-04-27 16:59:37)

#6 2009-04-27 17:29:12

rson451
Website

For the layout per tag question, look at the pertag patch.  For the third, no I do not.

Last edited by rson451 (2009-04-27 17:29:25)

archlinux - please read this and this — twice — then ask questions.
--
http://rsontech.net | http://github.com/rson

#7 2009-04-27 18:17:40

droog

Barghest wrote:

P.S.: Third question :b : Do you use a tray (e.g. for gajim) and if yes how do you embed it in dwm?

related to both your last questions, i found it best to use pertag patch and make a float tag to have the programs i usually had minimized to a tray just run there floating instead using a tray.

Last edited by droog (2009-04-27 18:19:48)

#8 2009-04-27 18:32:01

Barghest

Ok, I tried the raiselower patch but it seem it's not working. I created the file raiselower.c

void
raisewindow (const char *arg) {
    if (!sel)
        return;
    if(!(sel->isfloating || lt->isfloating))
        return;
    if (!arg) {
        XRaiseWindow(dpy, sel->win);
    } else {
        if (lt->isfloating)
            XLowerWindow(dpy, sel->win);
        else {
            XWindowChanges wc;
            wc.stack_mode = Above;
            wc.sibling = barwin;
            XConfigureWindow(dpy, sel->win, CWSibling | CWStackMode, &wc);
        }
    }
}

and added the line

#include "raiselower.c"

to my config.h but when I makepkg I receive the following message:

In file included from config.h:39,
                 from dwm.c:242:
raiselower.c: In Funktion »raisewindow«:
raiselower.c:5: Fehler: Anfrage nach Element »isfloating« in etwas, was keine Struktur oder Variante ist
raiselower.c:10: Fehler: Anfrage nach Element »isfloating« in etwas, was keine Struktur oder Variante ist

I try to translate smile : Request after element "isfloating" in something, that isn't a structure(?) or a variable/attribute

/edit: Ok, I also tried pertag but I think it doesn't work with the latest version of dwm. I can only switch the layout of a tag once. When I switch to another tag and back again, changing the layout doesn't work anymore (on no tag).

Last edited by Barghest (2009-04-27 19:29:53)

Board footer