You are not logged in.

#1 2008-11-13 04:13:12

karabaja4
Website

xcompmgr + real transparency terminal, trail fix

I'm sure many of you have experienced an annoying bug where xcompmgr's shadows leave trails when terminal window is moved around the desktop. This happenes on almost all terminals like urxvt or gnome-terminal.

Here's a workaround on how to fix this. This is intended for Openbox only. I'm using urxvt so I'll use it as an example.

create a term.sh file (and chmod it to executable):

#!/bin/bash

#resize the window so it displays the shadows correcly
resize -s $1 $2 > /dev/null 2>&1

#reconfigure openbox to lose the trails left by opening the window
openbox --reconfigure

#start the shell
/bin/bash

and start the urxvt by following command:

urxvt -e /path/to/term.sh 28 91

Change the terminal size arguments 28 and 91 to a DIFFERENT ONES then specified in your .Xdefaults, otherwise this will have no effect.

Basically this is based on a fact that urxvt works like it should after resizing it. And a note.. This happenes only on certain types of video drivers and/or systems.

Last edited by karabaja4 (2008-11-13 04:27:24)

#2 2009-03-29 23:37:08

CheesyBeef

Re: xcompmgr + real transparency terminal, trail fix

Ah, thank you so much for this fix - it helped a lot for Terminator.  If you are using terminator, size the window like this:

terminator -x /path/to/term.sh --geometry=28x90

A strange thing about this, however, is that it disables the background shadow of xcompmgr on the terminal window.  Not that this matters a whole lot, but I thought it was note-worthy.

P.S. I have an ATI Radeon Xpress 1150 graphics card with the Xf86-video-ati driver.

P.P.S.  Sorry for bumping an old thread, but I think this is useful information.  Maybe worth inclusion or linking in the wiki?

Last edited by CheesyBeef (2009-03-29 23:38:44)

#3 2009-03-30 17:25:33

göteborg-johan

I found that a much easier fix to this issue is to download the xcompmgr-dana from the AUR. Some people have told me that it is based on an old version of xcompmgr, but i've had no issues with it at all.

#4 2009-03-31 03:50:36

karabaja4
Website

göteborg-johan wrote:

I found that a much easier fix to this issue is to download the xcompmgr-dana from the AUR. Some people have told me that it is based on an old version of xcompmgr, but i've had no issues with it at all.

Thanks, I did not know that, but - with dana's fork I can't get conky to drop shadows for some reason (own_window_type desktop drops shadows on offical xcompmgr, but not on dana's).

#5 2009-04-27 19:20:55

archnildon

Hi, thanks for this fix. Trying to get it work, but w/o success.

#reconfigure openbox to lose the trails left by opening the window
openbox --reconfigure

This still works?

Board footer