You are not logged in.

#1 2009-04-28 04:39:11

decaren

Large File Copy fails in KDEmod 4.2.2

I'm using KDEmod 4.2.2 and I often have to transfer large files on my computer.  Files are usually 1-2Gb and I have to transfer about 150Gb of them.  The files are stored on one external 500Gb HD and are being transferred to another identical 500Gb HD over firewire.  Also I have another external firewire drive that I transfer about 20-30Gb of the same type of 1-2Gb files to the internal HD of my laptop over firewire.  If I try to drag and drop in Dolphin, it gets through a few hundred Mb of the transfer then fails.  Now if I use the cp in the terminal, the transfer is fine.  Also when I was still distro hopping and using Fedora 10 with KDE 4.2.0 I had this same problem.  When I use Gnome this problem is non existent.  I do this often with work so it is a very important function to me.  All drives are FAT32 and there is no option to change them as they are used on serveral different machines/OS's before all is said and done and the only file system that all of the machines will read is FAT32 (thanks to one machine of course).  In many cases time is very important on the transfer and that is why I prefer to do the transfer in a desktop environment, so I can see progress and ETA.  This is a huge deal breaker for KDE and I would like to fix it.  Any help is greatly appreciated and please don't reply just use Gnome.

#2 2009-04-28 06:38:22

signor_rossi

Re: Large File Copy fails in KDEmod 4.2.2

You can use any other file manager under KDE that works, you know? wink Just disable that nautilus takes command of your desktop and you should be fine with it.
AFAIR the display of the remaining time for a transfer comes at the cost of even more transfer time. And wouldn't some file synchronisation tool work too for this task? (someone with more knowledge please tell me if this would be a bad idea wink ).

Board footer